Aftermarket Air Cleaners

Page 3 of 3
wrote

Was at Tucson Dodge when a gal brought in her husband's 1500. They scanned it and found an after market chip. Told her no warranty, and quoted some completely outrageous price to repair it. They brought it in for a transmission problem. Think it was a 4.7. All I heard was her talking to her husband on her cell phone so I don't know the complete story. They were not happy.
Al

Warranty can't be voided for installing an aftermarket air filter. If that is the case, no air filter would qualify for replacement except OEM.
And as for damage, Toyota offers the Borla system as a factory option. System includes a borla high flow exhaust and a "borla" badged high flow intake which surprisingly looks exactly like the K & N. I suspect that K & N private labels it for Borla. Think they are going to void my warranty?
I have a K & N on my Dakota, but have not checked the mileage.

Jim, I would not recommend that you buy it from the dealer simply because of cost and mark up. There are so many companies out there that sell them, cheaper. Try some of the following sites:
www.truckperformance.com www.desertrat.com www.4wheelparts.com
As to a specific "brand" from the write ups and reviews I have seen, the Volant systems seems to be one of the best ones out there.
As to an increase in fuel economy, filter alone I could not tell you, but with the CAI and the free flowing exhaust, I have gained some, but I really could not tell you how much.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

Funny, I ran K&N's on several vehicles over a 25 year period, and not ONCE was anything mentioned about voiding any warranty. One of these, an 88 S10 Blazer was still (The 4.3 engine was anyway) running fine in 2004 when after two thefts and trashings, one sideswipe from a flatbed truck, a wreck, and over 250,000 miles on it, the friend of mine who bought it from me, retired it, and sold it to a scrapyard. The tranny was slipping badly, and the transfer case had died, and you couldn't hardly move it, so it was time. It had cancer so badly it left a pile of rust and scale if it was parked for more than a half hour.
It had the same K&N filter on it until 2000, when it fell apart and was replaced with a paper one from then on..
I never really noticed any real gas milage improvement, it did sound a lot better though, and it ran a little better too.
BDK