Aftermarket NAV unit?

OK, what's good?

Circuit City has a sale on the Garmin C330 for $399. How's it compare to a Magellan? For that matter is the C530 ($200 higher) really worth the difference?

Reply to
RamMan

i have a c330 and have no complaints.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Honestly, it really depends on what other features besides nave you want. Look at all those as you compare them all. Pioneer has a unit (AVIC-S1) that is really good, I-Way has two that are really good, the Gramins, TomTom, etc all are good. All have different features beside nav though.

I could tell you buy this product, from a stand point of what we sell at my store, but I don't think that would do you any good. Look at the units Crutchfield sells to make your comparisons, or feel free to drop me a line and ask questions

Reply to
azwiley1

Dash, hand held or laptop style??

I really like the freedom/multiuse of the laptop type, we use the streets and trips and DeLorme, with the DeLorme GPS unit... retails for about $130 and includes software and USB GPS antenna..

Mac

mac davis

Thanks Mac. Looking for a dash unit (like the Garmin C330/340) with a 3½" screen that I can wag between vehicles, but do not want a mini/portable (handheld) - I want something I can f*****g see without having to put my reading glasses on! The screen on the handhelds are too little.

I had the DeLorme GPS unit and software for the laptop, used it once, found it cumbersome and gave it away to a coworker. He used it once, agreed w/my findings & gave it to his brother. Obviously what one finds useful another finds awkward.

The Garmin C330s and C340s are both discontinued models that are being liquidated (dumped) so once they're gone, they're gone. From what I've been able to find out the newer Garmin models have a brighter screen and much improved receiver sensitivity so they work in shadows of the highrise office buildings in the big cities.

Reply to
RamMan

snipped-for-privacy@dodgecity.cc wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

These gizmos are all a wste of money. Know where you are going and learn to read a map. Google Maps or Mapquest is a good place to start. Too simple. Save money.

SnoMan snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Not quite right SnowMan (just my opinion).

I have a Garmin Streetpilot III, I have had it for some time, maybe two years. I have updated the software once. I am retired and do quite a bit of traveling (at least 1 trip a month). I simply set down at my computer and plan my trip, upload it to my garmin and go. I have no wories of maps, woring where to turn, what lane I should be in, is it a oneway street, how far is to the next turn and etc....she(female voice) will keep me informed, right to the exact destination address I programed in. "At your destination, your destination is on the left. . .etc."

I do not hesitate to go to any large city like Dallas, Houston, Atlanta are any other city, I simply program in the address an go. If I am in one of the large cities and get lost, I simply punch the waypoint where my hotel is and she will take me there.

Okay, there are some errors in the software, with such a large everchanging data base, there is bound to be so errors.

No I'm not a salesman, I just think this technology is awwwwssssooome.

Another very good use is, if I want Lodging, Dining, Service(and the list goes on) I simply click on it then "Nearest" it will display all with a given number of miles. If you see what you want hi-light it and click "Rout To", and she will take you there.

Sorry for the l> snipped-for-privacy@dodgecity.cc wrote in

Reply to
Rogerx

i tell you what, you go to google and map something in GA, something that uses I75, will google call it I75?, nope they call its GA401, do you recon you will ever see a sighn identifying that highway as GA401?, i know that answer i drive that highway everyday.

further yes i know how to read a map, but the gps unit is still extreemly nice. it will lead me turn for turn even with missing/covered road sighns (yes that happens) and if your intersection on a particular road is in the middle of the road you dont have to guess witch way to turn only to find out more often than not you have turned the wrong direction for the address you have been looking for.

and yes along with the gps i still carry an atlas in the truck.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

"Christopher Thompson" wrote in news:715e1$44afda56$d8602c18$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

Find out info: alt.satellite.gps

Reply to
RobertPatrick

right, Sno... especially if you never leave your neighborhood... You also shouldn't use power or air tools or that new fangled air conditioning... might be cool to have a horse and buggy, too!

Try finding out where you are on a map in the middle of the night when you're off your paper map in a strange place, or your map didn't know that the road had changed... I'll take my pointing arrow and voice instructions over maps anytime.. Mac

mac davis

Mac, how do they work with your hearing aides?

Reply to
azwiley1

Probably a direct interface.

Reply to
TBone

Damn, a system analyst that's got that military "aide" thing going....

Actually, I don't use the voice thing much, Larry... when we're on a trip the GPS is something to give the one not driving something to do..

Mac

mac davis

Actually I just bought the c530, and I went on my first trip with it this weekend. The damn thing failed on e halfway across the state. I had prepared for such an event by printing out a maps.com of the same route I was using the gps for so I got where I was going. Point is, These things are not 100%, and unfortunately I have lost a lot of faith. Either I have a bad unit, or I'm strongly going to consider not replacing it. I've already talked to the store I bought it at and they are going to get back to me. The error I got on the screen was lost satellite communication, and it happened about 4 times through out the weekend. and 2 times there were some clouds and the other 2 times the skies where blue. I realy like using the GPS when it works but this weekend was a hug turn off. For the record the C330 was perfect, and I never had any problems. I had a C330 prior to the C530 for a short period of time.

Marzio

mac davis wrote:

Reply to
protechconsulting

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Guess they work on the order of cell phones (as far as service is).

Reply to
ktos