Air Filter Cleaning?

No, I didn't buy a k/n. But the used truck I picked up came with a Airaid Intake filter set up on it. Has a cone filter in a air box. Dealer didn't have the factory set up that came with the truck, so I couldn't go back to a factory filter. Hell, somebody paid close to $300.00 for this thing.

So, I've been hearing that some have been cleaning these filters with Brake Kleen then spraying them with WD-40. I've been thinking about doing the same as I don't want to go through the 24+ hour wait for the filter to dry after rinseing the thing with a hose. Also I've got the stuff on the shelf so I won't have to buy the multi bottle kit to clean it. Thinking about it even if I had to run out and buy the Kleen and wd 40 it would be a lot cheaper than buying the factory cleaning kit for $20.00

Okay what are your thoughts???

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Now that he's found oil on his property ole Roy is spending money like its bubbling out of the sand.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

IIRC, washing with hot water and dish washing detergent is best. Then air dry.

Arrrgggg... No, the WD-40 will last a day or so, then all evaporate. You can get air-cleaner spray at most parts stores, IIRC, I've several cans from different makers on my shelf, so it must be common, right?

No air compressor? No shop vac? I use a shop vac (backwards so it blows) to dry things like this. (Learned that trick in the Air Force where we cleaned filters on electronic equipment, and had a vacuum dedicated to blowing them dry.)

Reply to
PeterD

Have u tried the junkyard for O box.

Reply to
Airport Shuttle

One way to test the effectiveness of your filter is to wipe a small amount of oil inside the air tube, downstream from the filter, in the direct path of the filtered air. Check it after a few k miles. That oil schmeer should be nice and clean.

So, what kind of 'used' truck did you buy? 2009 CTD with heated seats?

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

Hmmm... didn't think that the WD would evaporate. Something to consider.

Was reading their site, it mentioned no forced air or such. The shop vac should help things along though.

Reply to
Roy

Quiet or I'll be useing bees wax or honey to lube it.

Reply to
Roy

It would take forever for forever for me to get a few k on this thing. I use it just to haul my fishing stuff and dog to the ocean. It doesn't see 100 miles in a week. I like the thought though. Might do it anyway.

Any preference on oil? Syn or dino, weight? That might start a debate.

Heated seats???? Real men don't need no stinking heated seats!! Especially here in FL.

Picked up a 2005 ford f150 extended cab awhile ago. Damn thing looks like it is new, low mileage and does exactly what I bought it for. Except it came with the damn filter A CTD would be overkill for my needs here.

Reply to
Roy

"Airport Shuttle" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.forums.travel.com...

Actually no, I haven't. I'd have to grab everything brackets intake hose vacum fittings the whole deal. Sorta figured it wasn't worth the aggrevation or the cost. Also doubtful a jy would sell the parts as the box and stuff would get busted up in a accident and they would probably want to sell it with the nose.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Honey can be used as an antifreeze!

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

I thought that you'd bought a Jeep to haul your ass to the beach & back??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Aha! So now even YOU are part of the HLS conspiracy... see how you are?

;^)

MIke

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Reply to
Roy

Truth be known, I've been a advocate of HLS for years. I was quoting my chubby buddy.

Sue's car has cooled leather seats that are really nice here in the heat.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Conspiracy? Me? I didn't vote for Oasshole and I love heated seats every winter. BTW, my '03 CTD turned 200,000 miles on the way back from hauling the first wife and the Arctic Fox on a 10,000 mile trip to Inuvik, NT and Alaska. About 17-1800 miles of that was dirt/gravel highways. Purred like an '03. Love it.

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

Hey Roy, I hear "da machine" is available for cleaning that filter Have you checked with your "chubby buddy"????

Reply to
Redneck

Hey Roy, I hear "da machine" is available for cleaning that filter Have you checked with your "chubby buddy"????

Hmmm....Ya know between the two of ya I can't keep track of the damn machine. I had dinner with the "friggin' rabbit" a few weeks ago and I forgot to ask him about it..

But. you make a good point, "the machine" sure could blow or suck that filter clean. Look what it's done for you and the rabbit.

Reply to
Roy