Airbag Light

We have a 2001 GC Sport and the airbag light intermittently goes on and off. Is this a bad sensor or a more serious problem? I've been told that the van
will not pass Virginia state inspection (next month) if this occurs during the inspection. Is this true? Would any code show up and how do I access them? I remember reading here about turn the key method, but can't find it now.
Cecil

The "key method" will only display the OBD-II diagnostic codes, which are powertrain-related. The airbag system is separate, and you need a dealership scan tool to be able to read any fault codes from that. Typically, the problem is not a sensor, but a failed/failing clockspring connector in the steering wheel.
And yes - having an airbag light on during an inspection will get you a 'Failed' sticker.
Well than, how difficult is it to remove/disable te light and chime?
Cecil

Not very - but the sharp-eyed inspector will check to make sure the lights are operating first when the key is turned on (the 'all lights on' check), then will want to see them go out upon starting the engine. If the light never comes on, even during the check, it's just as good (or bad) as it never coming on at all.
You really need to have it checked, and fixed.