Airbag light on and no more Cruise Control?

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins TD quad cab long bed and drove to Fairplay CO from Golden CO using the cruise control a week ago Friday. I stopped at a friend's house and when I left, the air bag light came on,
intermittently at first, then it was on contstantly.
On Monday we headed back to Golden and when I push the cruise control switch, it does not come on. No light, and no cruise control.
Not sure if they are related.
Does anyone have any advice on getting these fixed? Is either a dealer only item?
I tried to check the airbag fuses but they are locked in and won't come out. I turned off the passenger air bag and the light still comes on.
This truck has about 110 k miles and is a pretty basic truck. Vinyl floor, crank windows, but it does have A/C and cruise control.
Come to think of it, I need to recharge the A/C about twice a year and the previous owner (2 years ago) had the system fixed and rechaged.
Any constructive advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Charles
I forgot to mention it is the 6-speed manual.
Charles wrote:

Charles thought everyone should know:

sounds to me like the clockspring went bad. common problem, but the repair requires removing the steering wheel and driver's side air bag.
--
Chris

Sounds like Chris is spot-on with this info. This is not a difficult repair, but if you do it yourself just make sure you unhook the battery negative cable for two minutes before you unhook the airbag. We don't like things to go "boom" in our face.....
Denny
Thanks for your help. I have a rule that if it takes longer to fix it than to drop it off and get it back, I consider letting "them" do it. Or if I dislike the job for some reason.
I will call my local mechanic and see what he says. Christopher's Dodge World is not that far away.
Charles
Denny wrote:

Charles wrote:

Charles, I believe the clockspring is a safety recall so it shouldn't cost you anything. I know shortly after I bought my 01 Ram new I received a safety recall notice in the mail and had the work done for free.
Bob
There's a good chance it's your clockspring, I had to change mine a couple years ago. Best price I could find on one was at Rockauto.com, the dealer will gouge you. Speaking of Fairplay, I was born there in 1938.
have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins TD quad cab long bed and drove to<BR>Fairplay CO from Golden CO using the cruise control a week ago Friday. I<BR>stopped at a friend's house and when I left, the air bag light came on,<BR>intermittently at first, then it was on contstantly.<BR><BR>On Monday we headed back to Golden and when I push the cruise control<BR>switch, it does not come on. No light, and no cruise control.<BR><BR>Not sure if they are related.<BR><BR>Does anyone have any advice on getting these fixed? Is either a dealer<BR>only item?<BR><BR>I tried to check the airbag fuses but they are locked in and won't come<BR>out. I turned off the passenger air bag and the light still comes on.<BR><BR>This truck has about 110 k miles and is a pretty basic truck. Vinyl<BR>floor, crank windows, but it does have A/C and cruise control.<BR><BR>Come to think of it, I need to recharge the A/C about twice a year and<BR>the previous owner (2 years ago) had the system fixed and rechaged.<BR><BR>Any constructive advice would be appreciated.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance,<BR><BR>Charles</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
What was I thinking....the reason for my changing the clockspring is the horn would start honking, usually in the middle of the night. However, there is a connector under the airbag that may have come loose. 2 8mm bolts hold it on if you want to check it. Turns out it was the horn button that was bad on mine, I bought a new(used) one and that put a stop to the honking, my airbag light now stays on and I haven't checked to see if the connector came loose. You CTD owners can find just about any answer to your CTD problems on www.tdr1.com. Good luck
have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins TD quad cab long bed and drove to<BR>Fairplay CO from Golden CO using the cruise control a week ago Friday. I<BR>stopped at a friend's house and when I left, the air bag light came on,<BR>intermittently at first, then it was on contstantly.<BR><BR>On Monday we headed back to Golden and when I push the cruise control<BR>switch, it does not come on. No light, and no cruise control.<BR><BR>Not sure if they are related.<BR><BR>Does anyone have any advice on getting these fixed? Is either a dealer<BR>only item?<BR><BR>I tried to check the airbag fuses but they are locked in and won't come<BR>out. I turned off the passenger air bag and the light still comes on.<BR><BR>This truck has about 110 k miles and is a pretty basic truck. Vinyl<BR>floor, crank windows, but it does have A/C and cruise control.<BR><BR>Come to think of it, I need to recharge the A/C about twice a year and<BR>the previous owner (2 years ago) had the system fixed and rechaged.<BR><BR>Any constructive advice would be appreciated.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance,<BR><BR>Charles</BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=