Airbag light on and no more Cruise Control?

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins TD quad cab long bed and drove to Fairplay CO from Golden CO using the cruise control a week ago Friday. I stopped at a friend's house and when I left, the air bag light came on, intermittently at first, then it was on contstantly.

On Monday we headed back to Golden and when I push the cruise control switch, it does not come on. No light, and no cruise control.

Not sure if they are related.

Does anyone have any advice on getting these fixed? Is either a dealer only item?

I tried to check the airbag fuses but they are locked in and won't come out. I turned off the passenger air bag and the light still comes on.

This truck has about 110 k miles and is a pretty basic truck. Vinyl floor, crank windows, but it does have A/C and cruise control.

Come to think of it, I need to recharge the A/C about twice a year and the previous owner (2 years ago) had the system fixed and rechaged.

Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Charles

Reply to
Charles

Charles

Charles thought everyone should know:

sounds to me like the clockspring went bad. common problem, but the repair requires removing the steering wheel and driver's side air bag.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Sounds like Chris is spot-on with this info. This is not a difficult repair, but if you do it yourself just make sure you unhook the battery negative cable for two minutes before you unhook the airbag. We don't like things to go "boom" in our face.....

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Thanks for your help. I have a rule that if it takes longer to fix it than to drop it off and get it back, I consider letting "them" do it. Or if I dislike the job for some reason.

I will call my local mechanic and see what he says. Christopher's Dodge World is not that far away.

Charles

Denny wrote:

Reply to
Charles

On Monday we headed back to Golden and when I push the cruise control switch, it does not come on. No light, and no cruise control.

Not sure if they are related.

Does anyone have any advice on getting these fixed? Is either a dealer only item?

I tried to check the airbag fuses but they are locked in and won't come out. I turned off the passenger air bag and the light still comes on.

This truck has about 110 k miles and is a pretty basic truck. Vinyl floor, crank windows, but it does have A/C and cruise control.

Come to think of it, I need to recharge the A/C about twice a year and the previous owner (2 years ago) had the system fixed and rechaged.

Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Charles

Reply to
jerry

On Monday we headed back to Golden and when I push the cruise control switch, it does not come on. No light, and no cruise control.

Not sure if they are related.

Does anyone have any advice on getting these fixed? Is either a dealer only item?

I tried to check the airbag fuses but they are locked in and won't come out. I turned off the passenger air bag and the light still comes on.

This truck has about 110 k miles and is a pretty basic truck. Vinyl floor, crank windows, but it does have A/C and cruise control.

Come to think of it, I need to recharge the A/C about twice a year and the previous owner (2 years ago) had the system fixed and rechaged.

Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Charles

Reply to
jerry

Charles, I believe the clockspring is a safety recall so it shouldn't cost you anything. I know shortly after I bought my 01 Ram new I received a safety recall notice in the mail and had the work done for free.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M