Alpine vs Infinity

Picked up my 2006 Durango Limited last Thursday. I love it, but the Alpine sounds like crap compared to my '04 Durango's Infinity. Anyone notice the
same?
--

Some people are like a Slinky.....not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Haven't heard the Alpine, but the Infinity in my '03 Dak is awful.
Joe Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC Calypso Green '93 Mustang 5.0 LX hatch with a few goodies
Joe wrote:

I have the Infinity in my 01 Ram that sounded horrible. I replaced the stock headunit with an Alpine and it now sounds great. The speakers are decent but the headunit was awful.
The biggest problem that most of the so called "premium" systems have, especially the infinity, is that even with the factory install amplifier, they are under powered. An aftermarket head unit, regardless of brand will make them sound a lot better. For the best results though, you may want to consider either doing a complete system, replacing everything or by passing the factory amp(s) and installing a new, though not huge aftermarket amp.

Gut and replace is what I did in my QC. Alpine head unit with Soundtream amps x 5 (all bridged mono), 2 pairs of Soundstream separates, a pair of 8" Sounstream subs, 2 Audio Control crossovers. Best system I've ever had. And don't scimp on your interconnects.
Laszlo Almasi
That is a system I would love to hear. Here is what I am running. JVC headunit/DVD player (I have a 7.2" 16:9 widescreen in the center console) AudioBahn pre-amp/eq/crossover PlanetAudio speakers in the front CV in the rear 2 10" MTX 6000 series subs All powered by a MTX 5 channel amp

I used a multi channel amp before in another car...but the stereo separation with this setup is phenomenal. The amps aren't large, you don't need them large bridged mono, and there is plenty of "bump". Front amps are D100II 1 for front left, one for front right, mounted under the center seat to the seat itself. The crossovers are mounted to the floor below them. The rears get D60II one each side mounted behind the rear seat and a D200II for the subs. the only thing u see is the sub box and head unit. I'm thinking of an LCD display myself for rearward view and such since i need to hook up to trailers a lot.
Laszlo Almasi
The system you describe sounds great ... but how did you overcome the door panel rattling? I have the factory Infinity with GPS and even as underpowered as it is, the door panels vibrate A LOT. In fact, you can hear them over the cranked music.
Craig C.
I used all new plastic clips when I reinstalled everything. I realized once I removed the panels the only way to have a secure fit was to replace those clips. If your s hasn't been removed yet, try to press in in different spots to see if you can press those clips in farther.
Laszlo Almasi
I installed an aftermarket amp in place of the Infinity kick panel amp and blew out 2 of the 4 OEM Infinity speakers within a few weeks. I then replaced the fronts with Infinity 6010cs components and forgot about the rears. Now I hear the OEM head unit's horrible THD. Having the head's speaker leads going into the amp certainly doesn't help, so now a new head unit is next.
You're absolutely right - it's best to replace everything for the best sound. The whole system is only as good as the weakest link.

Understood ... however is there is solution for the shmucks like me that opted for the GPS? Is the head unit so bad? If I replaced everything but that ... ?
Craig C.
snipped-for-privacy@metronet.com wrote in

I guess it depends on how critically you listen. I'd install new speakers and an amp (retaining the OEM head), then listen for a week or two. At that point you'll probably know what you have to do, if anything.
Mike wrote:

Probably speakers. I've never listened to an OEM alpine deck. I've used Alpine aftermarket decks in every vehicle I've owned including my 2004 Durango. Awesome sound.

Thanks. The speakers break up at half volume. The Infinity held tight until my eardrums were about to burst. I wonder if I can bitch about it to the dealer?