Aluminum cylinder heads

Any insight on any of the aluminum heads out there for the

2500 with 360?
Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

I have used quite a few aluminum heads on several different engines and I will tell you that iron heads will make just as much HP as aluminum, all other factors being the same, They will save about 40 lbs in weight, but they will also cost you fuel economy. Iron head motors reach their peak efficiency around 195 degrees F, where aluminum heads require 215 degrees optimum water temp for max efficiency. These facts I have deterimed personally on an engine dyno. This is not second hand data. These unadvertized facts are due to the difference in heat rejection between iron and aluminum, hence the difference in water temperature for max efficiency. Normally this has little meaning, but at the cost of fuel today, should be consifered. Of course the weight savings of aluminum mitigates the vaue of the difference slightly, but as fuel cost climbs, this efficiency difference should now be considered. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

That's the sort of info I was looking for.

I'm still getting some oil leakage into my cylinders and was thinking I may need to replace the valve stem seals and figured I would look at my options. If I was racing then I may go with the aluminum heads but if there is really no difference then why spend the money.

I'm also thinking that while I'm having the work done....to replace the rocker arms with either Viper rockers or some aftermarket roller rocker. I know it has been done but I've yet to see what the result was from anyone that has done this.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Roller rockers really work well. They save side thrust on the valve guide, even at nominal lift and ramp speeds. I use rollers on ALL my motors, even my Harley. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi