Amsoil Oil???

I have been looking at purchasing Amsoil oil for my 2003 Dodge Diesel. I have read all the specs and publications. The oil is expensive, but they claim it has extended life. Does anyone use Amsoil? Is it worth the switch? Any performance comments?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Here is a comparison I found with Mobil. They completly test both oils before and during use.

GeekBoy

There was also a test done by Shell/Motiva on some Volvo trucks testing the major brand truck oils.

It seems the Shell Rotella T Synthetic did best followed by the Shell Rimula Premium.

Maybe a biased test?

---------- In February 2006 Shell VideoCheck ? Inspections were performed on five Volvo D12-435 tractor trucks in

on-road service and in similar applications. All trucks had approximately the same number of miles on the

engines. Depending on the unit, the truck engine was charged with one of several major brands of diesel

engine lubricant. With the exception of unit #4, all trucks were fitted with an auxillary additized by-pass

filtration system, adding approximately 2 quarts of oil to the total engine oil system volume.

GeekBoy

Bob:

I know I will be excoriated by the Amsoil boys, but IMHO you can't do better than Delo, Delvac or Rotella. Change it every 7,500 miles with a quality filter (Mopar or Fleetguard) and you can't go wrong.

I am always suspicious of a product that is sold exclusively by multi-level marketing schemes. If the product is that good, such schemes would be unnecessary.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

I have done a search trying to find some sort of comparison between Amsoil and Mobil 1. But I can't find anything that really tells me one is better than the other. It seems depending on the site, one is better than the other, then the next site shows the opposite. Does Mobil 1 make a diesel oil? About the only thing I found is that Amsoil lasts longer between changes than mobil 1.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Is there a synthetic to use other than Amsoil? Does Mobil 1 make a diesel synthetic?

Reply to
Bob

Speaking of filters, what about WIX? Fleetguard or WIX?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Yes. It is called Valvoline Premium Blue Synthetic. It was created by Valvoline and Cummins as the recommended oil for Cummins engines.

I use VPB 5w-40 and a Fleetguard filter. I order it from my local Cummins retailer.

Craig C.

Reply to
craig

Wix is a good filter. As far as synthetics, Chevron, Shell and Mobil all make synthetic diesel oils. I just gotta ask, why do you want to run synthetic?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Good question. I have been reading about how synthetics run cooler and I can go longer between oil changes, but I think I am going to stick with the Delo or Delro or whatever it is called. That is what I have used in the past.

Reply to
Bob

I guess what they were saying is one is good in one area were the other is not. Maybe just combine them?

Yes Mobil for diesels is available:

GeekBoy

I think you mean Delvac

Reply to
GeekBoy

If I might add a testimonial. Run a good oil, rotela t 15-40 and change at 7500 mile intervals and you won't wear out that motor for so long you won't care. I have two dodge wreckers (a 99 and an 01) and they both have 400,000 miles on them. They should be the cummins proving ground. I can assure you that these trucks have been hammered into the ground by at least 50 drivers that hop into the truck for a call on an icy Canadian morning and let her wail from a cold start. When I took over the trucks the first thing I did was an oil change and one of the drivers said that was the first time he had ever seen it changed since he had been driving it. I was boasting this claim to another operator and he said he had 600,000 miles on his 98. These motors still have a ton of power and burn little oil. How much do you recon you will spend extra on all that sinthetic and after a couple hundred thousand miles, how much more will you get on the trade for that extra care? I'm not sure through normal use and maintainance that one of these babies can be worn out. When I gots lottsa more money you can bet my next truck is gonna be a dodge! ,, bri

Reply to
precisiontowing

Now you are making sense! If it is the Chevron product, it is Delo 400 BTW. Diesel Engine Lubricating Oil.. Unless you operate under some severe condtions, i.e extreme cold (lower pour point) or extreme heat while working the engine hard (resistance to shear) synthetics have little value other than to lighten your wallet. The D/C warranty does not support extended oil change intervals using synthetic BTW, so do this at your own peril.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

You would be better off to buy the Amsoil dual oil filter kit that combines a regular filter with a bypass filter on a billet manifold that can be mounted in an easy to reach area in the engine compartment. (I think the filter kit is made by Hastings) Amsoil also has a oil analysis program that will analyze the contaminants in your oil, worth the 15$ or so if you just bought your rig used. Analysis can sometimes identify abnormal engine operation like crank and rod bearings wearing excessively, etc. I do NOT subscribe to the concept of extended oil changes regardless of oil brand used. Engines produce corrosive vapors and condensation from dissimilar metals reacting and contaminants in cheaper fuels among other things so I change oil every 3-4k miles even though I do use synthetic also. It has worked for me resulting in 250k miles plus on every vehicle maintained this way, in addition my (now x) wife is just now selling her 90 dodge caravan with 350k+ miles, it outlasted our 16 year marriage! good luck, Joe.

Reply to
Joe Brophy

An often heard argument against the use of synthetics.

If race drivers had an absolute guarantee that they wouldn't crash there would be no need for helmuts, restraint belts, fire suits, etc. but the reality is you can't tell beforehand when you'll need the protection they afford. Same with lubes, you never know when circumstances will make your dino lube fall down on the job.

Lab tests routinely show that synthetics are superior lubricants even when not in the critical zone, that makes cost the only drawback to their use.

Reply to
John Kunkel

My opinion JUNK Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Maybe if you had bought her a new vehicle..................

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep