Anti freeze breakdown.

Any of you folks heard or read about a anti-freeze break down? Seems that it creates a ammonia like smell and a white gunk that clogs the water passages. Been reading about it on a srt8 forum.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I hadn't heard anything. Which antifreeze; orange, green or did someone combine them? Is it limited to a specific year? model?

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

It is the orange stuff. Most with a build date in 06. There is a poll going on at

To read more go to the charger SRT-8 discussion. So far it seems to be the SRT 6.1 engine used in the Charger. Although it is not all of them. So far I don't have it yet. Going to have to watch for it though.The SRT engineers are involved in trying to find out exactly what is causing it. Could be that these engines are designed to run so damn hot that it is cooking it. A couple of guy's there have Cummins trucks and have had no problems.

Something else to watch for. At least this time DC is responding to the problem, which is a nice thing.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Ethylene Glycol in coolant does not "wear out". What happens in galvantic reaction takes place and contaminates the coolant. Ethylene Gycol in its pure state boils around 340 degrees. Thw water is the weak link in coolant not the glycol. Water is also corrosive or reactive and additives in antifreeze try to counter act this and they break down with time, not the actual glycol.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

snip

Reply to
samstone

Still can't help yourself can ya.

What has come to light thus far, is that the sodium tetraborate that is used in extended change anti freeze is cooking off and clinging to coolant passages, radiator and heater core.

It has become so bad that one fellow has lost a engine due to overheating brought about by this condition. He has posted pic's. of the stuff found in his engine after it cooked.

The water doesn't have a thing to do with it. This condition has been found in engines with as few as 2K miles on the clock.

Right now the fix is to drain flush and refill. It would seem that there may be a bad batch of antifreeze that may have found it's way into some engines

You might want to look and read a bit.

Reply to
Roy

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:27:01 -0400, "Roy" wrote:

No "troll" you cannot help yourself from spreading improper information. Like I said the glycol does not break down only the aditives while trying to control the galvanic reactivety of the water in coolant with engine parts it contacts. If you run a higher consentation of glycol you can greatly extend coolant life but there are those such as you that will say water cools better even though glycol is densor and it takes more heat to raise a gallon of it one degree than it does water and it has a lower surface tension as well and transfer heat out of motor better too. See trolls such as your self do not know the chemistry behind things so you rant and rave a lot. SOme may say that the temp gage is a little higher with higher glycol consentrations but that is because it is conducting more heat out of the block die to lower surface tension and a reduces gas bubble bbarrier forming around hot parts that inhibits heat transfer from metal part and temp gage reads coolant temp true not block or head temp. BTW, I have been running 70/30 for many years and I have a excellant coolant life and I have a 18 year old vehicle that over flow tank is still clean as new. I also run 7 to 9 PSI caps to reduce stress on hoses and cores and I have no overheating issude at all in any climate with any load. (the higher pressure cap used with lower consentrions to increase boil point and to help minimize gas bubble barrier on hot parts is not nereded with higher gycol concentrations) Keep up the "trooling" though and it is good for entertainment. BTW, if you run proplyene glycol (non toxic antifreeze) you can even run

100% if you want because it has it highest freezing and boiling point and 100% consentraion. It is used in true artic climates.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

What improper information? You should be the last person to remark about improper info. You are a legend when it come to BS post's.

When did I ever say that? Prove it or retract it.

I'm posting what has been happening to a specific engine. Where is the rant?

Reply to
Roy

So then, why aren't you using it?

Larry Behold Beware Believe

Reply to
Leviathan

[SNIP]

Stop your trolling.

Reply to
Heatwave

Now that I took the time to actually read this babble, it dawned on me that the spelling police will have a ball with it.

Reply to
Roy

We had this debate several months ago about glycol cooling better than water. It was pure BS then and it is pure BS now. Don't you ever learn?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

I see a troll that needs some attention