Any one know what to look for when trying to get a new transmission?

Can anyone help me find out what i need to get a new transmission for my 1988 dodge dakota? i got the truck from my neighbor and the transmission was shot.
i dont know what i need or where to find it to get the right trany.
if any one could help that would be great.
Is it s a manual or automatic?
If manual, is it a 5 spd? It should be.
If Auto, is it 3 spd or 4 spd?
--
Max

Max Dodge wrote:

Your Dakota will have the NP535 transmission, lots of places have rebuilt units; check with:
http://www.drivetrain.com /
http://www.nationaldrivetrain.com/