Any Tips on Cummins Lift Pump Replace?

Hi Group and Happy New Year to All!

Would like to replace the lift pump on my 99 2500...looks like it might be a bit of a chore... can anyone in the group relate their experience and provide any tips on tools and techniques used in changing this pump??

TIA

Fred

Reply to
Fred

Two bolts and the fuel lines. Oh, a electrical plug iirc. Shouldn't take more than 45 minutes to r&r.

Reply to
Roy

Not positive of the exact location on a 2nd gen, but you may find that removing tire/wheel and the plastic wheel well liner provides good access to the pump.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Did my 99 for the first time just a couple weeks ago. Piece of cake. I have the service manual, and apparently they want you to go from below as they say to remove the starter, but that is not necessary. I left it in place and went at it from above (but I do have knuckle-dragging-long arms).

Make sure the area is clean as you don't want to be getting junk into the fuel system and you want the banjo fittings clean so that they seal).

Disconnect the ground cables from both batteries (you're working near the starter, and a dropped wrench could prove disasterous if you leave the batteries connected).

Remove the two banjo fittings, the support bracket bolt (supports the fuel supply line), electrical connector, then remove the 3 nuts and its out.

Replace the washers that seal the banjos, loosely connect the banjo fittings while getting everything in place, then install/tighten the 3 nuts. Install/tighten the support bolt bracket, then tighten the banjo fittings (don't go ape-$#!& on them -- 18 ft lbs is the spec). Reconnect the battery cables and bleed the fuel system at the injector pump.

The manual specifies that the fuel supply line quick-connect fitting should be disconnected/reconnected in the process, but I left mine on. It didn't siphon any fuel, but YMMV.

Reply to
mopurist

Thanks very much guys ... appreciate your feedback on this one.

Fred

Reply to
Fred