Anyone thinking of buying Dodge..........check this first

Page 3 of 3
wrote:

yep. i have had three. the first was a 1500 gasser. it pinged like hell but ran super. no other warranty problems.
next was an '01 2500 diesel. never had a warranty issue with that one.
now i have an '03 3500 diesel. best of the bunch. had the tach stop working, it was a bad sending unit. big deal. no other warranty problems.
all have been automatics. i have towed with all of them. no warranty problems so far with the tranny's.
of course, i keep up on the maintenance. keep the oil and filter changed every 3 to 5,000 miles (3 on the old ones, have gone as far as 5 on the new one but its heavy duty oil change cycle is listed at 7500 miles), fuel filters every 7500 miles and have kept the tranny serviced. pretty cheap insurance. i also keep a decent coat of wax on the paint. a lot of the problems that i see and read about come on from poor upkeep or bombing. outside of that, the didge have a tremendous repair record.

What about us with heated cloth seats and vibrating..... Oh never mind. -- Ken
justme wrote:

Not sure I believe this web site. I could write the same thing about toyota or ford. It may be true, but I'm not yet convinced.
I purchased a '95 Ram new in '94. Warrenty repairs: 0 Out of warrenty repairs: 0 Rountine maint only
I traded it in at 85K miles for a new '01 Dakota QC on '00
Warrenty repairs: 0 Out of warrenty repairs: 0 Routine maint only. Now at 70K miles and going strong.
That's been my personal experiance with Dodge. Would I buy another new new Dakots? No, but only because I don't like the new styling or engine choices. I like my 5.9 magnum so I'll keep it until it dies, and then rebuild it. If my truck were to be destroyed in an accident, or stolen, I'd be at the Dodge dealer the next day looking for another one.
--
.boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

speed limit)and 65 in Az. We wave hi/bye to a lot of trucks either in low and slow, or parked on the side with the hood up. None of them are Cummins Dodges.
At 120k the rear main seal started leaking. I saw this as a fluke and so did the dealer. Sometimes 'Shit Happens', but more often when you climb into a Dodge truck you 'Make Shit Happen'. When the seal went SWMBO wanted a new blue dually truck until she saw the price. Missing all the comforts is easier to take after you see the new price. After that, she decided that we should wear out the 92 first. And that is not an easy thing to do if you keep them maintained properly.
The new ones are awesome inside, a daughter has a blue hemi with every bell and whistle and commutes in it. She says it intimidates almost everything on the road and its size and weight makes her safer. The downside is: you don't get into it, you have to climb into it. I tell her she needs a set of power steps, she tells me to "climb old man, you need the execcise."
I had rather be under my Dodge with tools in hand than be driving a Ford or Chevy. I think that that is the sentiment of most people here. My grandpa started the Dodge trend in our family (he had a 36 PU for 20 years and sold it for more than he paid) and there has never been anything to change our minds. Our dodges have always out performed the other brands that are just now trying to play catch-up.
So call your truck a lemon, call it a POS, piss and moan. Sell your POS Dodge, cut your losses. Life is too short to stay all worked up over your past Dodge problems. Try something else, however,I suspect that your troubles will follow you no matter what you drive. So try the the others, then you may be wishing for your Dodge back.
JRC

Roy

Same here
--
Max

Amen!
Mike
And Motor Week has rated all Jeep Wrangler, Liberty and Grand Cherokee the top SUVs out of all the auto makers.
--
Coasty
SEMPAR PARATUS
Coasty wrote:

and polls out there. Each one you read says they have a list of what's the best vehicle. I take all of them with a grain of salt.
Bob

Very true.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

They have these sites for every manufacturer. People get crappy vehicles sometimes and the companies will try to keep from fixing it.
My 2003 Ram has been one of the best vehicles I have ever had, the best, hands down, was a 1982 Chevy Blazer. A broken trim piece was it, anything else I did (Like break the rear window track). My 1988 S10 Blazer was nearly as good.
My 85 Caravan was ok, with the exception of cracking an AC condensor every two years, same thing on my 93 Grand Cherokee, all were fixed for free. The 99 Grand Cherokee had awful seats and I hated it more than anything I have ever owned, but except for warped brakes, it was totally reliable.
BDK
As a new guy I've been wanting to write something about my 4WD 2001 Dakota with the 4.7 V-8. This thread gives me the opportunity. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned with absolutely zero defects to date. The only area in which I was a little disappointed was the gas mileage, but now I feel better. Mine is 18, except in the summer when it does better. It is not used much for short trips though, unless you count about a mile of off-road most weekends. A friend with a 2WD version gets 19.
I could also apply this note to the thread from justme. His sounds like a case of abuse. Gary K. Conn.
Welcome to the funny farm Gary. There are a couple of other Garys here that post under different user-names. Some of us will slip up and refer to them by name from time to time. If you see a post mentioning your name it may not be intended for you. This is a great source of information and it can also be entertaining. Sometimes the discussions can get ugly so be prepared. -- Ken

Ugly? That's putting it mildly?
Roy

Another drive-by....... jeesh....
Mike
Not only does Dodge sell junk........they are killing people Latest Gen3 Unlatching Claims Two Lives DaimlerChrysler Denies Safety Problems DaimlerChrysler has started a vigorous public relations campaign to deny safety problems with the Gen3 seat belt buckle. Furthermore, they have begun issuing a statement to the media that the GEN3 "passes all federal safety standards." But federal regulations require that seat belt buckles "be designed to minimize the possibility of accidental release," and the Gen-3 buckle does not minimize the possibility of accidental release
Two women were killed and a child seriously injured in a roll-over accident Dec. 28, 2002, near Beeville, Texas. This brings the total number of deaths to 17 and serious injuries to 27 in accidents in which Gen3 buckles are believed to have unlatched.
http://www.unsafebelts.com /
JASDA
--
Coasty