Anyone Used the Innova 3100 Fault-Code Reader

I'm considering purchasing this reader, initially for diagnostics and reset on a 1996 B3500 Dodge van:
http://www.partsamerica.com/CodeReaders.aspx
If you have personal experience using this device, please comment on your assesment of it's utility and quality.
thanks,
Martin

I have one and I'd consider selling it. What exactly do you want to know? It's not a lot better than the $40 ones. Looks neater but functionally is about the same.
Al
Big Al wrote:

I thought this device had at least one additional feature, the ability to reset the codes and CEL without generating a stored "12" code. If you use the $40 reader, you have to reset by battery disconnect, the go through 50 starts to reset the "12" before taking the vehicle for state inspection. Does yours provide this functionality?

know?
is
If you reset the codes, you will have to go through a number of restarts and run time to complete specific tests the computer runs and keeps track of regardless of what code reader you use. There is NO code reader that I am aware of that would allow you to reset codes and then take it immediately to a state inspection that monitors the computer as part of the emissions test since they are looking for stored codes AND test results. While the reader you are looking at can reset the codes without setting code 12, it will also cause the computer to restart these tests and that is what the state inspection is looking for.

It's a code reader... you plug it in, it displays codes. Not much to comment on.
However - be sure your '96 Van really is OBD-II - as the law required all vehicles MANUFACTURED after 1-1-96 to be OBD-II compliant. Production for the '96 model year started in Sept. or so of '95. I've seen other '96 vehicles that were still OBD-I.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

How can I determine for certain that the van is OBD-II? Is there a distinctive diagnostic-connector shape (link to a picture), or perhaps the number of pins can be counted to determine OBD-II vs OBD-I? It was indeed manufactured in 1995, so this is something I need to figure out.
ODBII has a large D shaped 16 pin connector which is usually under the dash in alignment with the steering column. http://www.gendan.co.uk/article_3.html

"Martin" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

all
for
You can find pictures of the OBD II connector on the web, or look in any 97 or newer car. It has the general shape of an old printer connector. The OBD I is shaped like a fat "L." Some of the low cost readers show the error code three times, and if you don't disconnect it, reset the ECM.
I have reset the ECM on GM cars and ran them right through emissions with no problems.
Al
Thanks, Al. Based on the answers from yourself and others, I concluded that the $100 units do not offer any functionality over the cheaper ones, so I bought one on sale at "Harbor Freight" for $31.99.
Martin
In article

First, is the diagnostic connector under the hood or under the dashboard.
Is it shaped like this \ --------- / \--------/ OBD2
Or this ______ | | |__ | |___| pre OBD2
Last, check the VECI label, if it's OBD2, it will say.
Based on the responses I received, I decided to opt for a cheap unit from Harbor Freight, since the $100 unit offers no additional functionality. It was $39.99, on sale from $49.99, and there was a 20% discount coupon available that made it $31.99.
I went ahead and bought it since the coupon was expiring yesterday, and will just return it if the van turns out to not be OBD-II.
thanks,
Martin
Martin wrote:

The more expensive ones tend to either have better displays that give you a text description of the error codes rather than just the number and some offer more diagnostic capability such as displaying the actual output from the sensors but if you don't need these things then save the money and buy the less expensive equipment.
"Martin" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

The unit in the subject line has books in English, Spanish and French. Three separate books with the explanation of the codes. I always look them up on the web. Google the car and the code, get much better explanations of what to look for.
Al