Armed citizen stops Utah shooting

Page 1 of 3
This is why we need concealed carry! If it had not been for this off-duty officer's concealed weapon many more people would have been killed and seriously wounded!
Off-duty officer called hero after Utah rampage An off-duty officer celebrating an early Valentine's Day with his wife repeatedly fired at a gunman who killed five people and wounded four at a shopping mall and "saved the lives" of numerous others, the police chief said Tuesday. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17124042/from/ET /
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Agreed. But only after a background check and firearm course.

Did the cop hit the gunman?

yawn

Your point?

Like the saying is "Fences make good neighbors" If everyone had a gun, unlike in DC where only criminals had guns

Read the article!
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Roy wrote:

I haven't heard them say one way or another. It appears the off duty cop pinned the gunman into one part of the mall preventing the gunman from moving around and killing more. The gunman wasn't shot until other police arrived.
On Feb 15, 6:04 am, "Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-

Glad I live in a right-to-carry state. And I do.
Wolfie
Much lower crime there?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Yes. I posted, not too long ago, the crime stats for Texas since 1996. There has been a sizable drop in nearly all crime, but especially violent crime.
Arming the good guys works. Period.
Craig C.
Kinda hard to answer that. Lower than where? And lower than when? Where I live the population density is extremely low and we are relatively remote. But we have our share of low-lifes and tweakers in the woods. The closest law enforcement on a good day is at least 10 miles away. So, as far as my own property and my immediate area is concerned, the crime rate is zero. In part, I suspect, due to the fact that out here most everybody's strapped. And everybody knows it.
Wolfie
On Feb 15, 8:58 am, "Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-

Actually you live ina right to carry country; see US Const, Amend Two.

Some states don't follow the law.
Ken

I think that some states put some super tough restriction's on ccw permits. My state,MA, makes it kinda tough. But I figure if it keeps a handgun out of a idiot's hand so be it. What I don't like is the restriction's they put on what guns can be sold in the state. They also raised the cost of the permit to $100.00 for 5 years. But we gladly pay it.
Roy Roy

I have no problems with requiring a background check. I have no problems with requiring training. I have a big problem with allowing arbitrary discretion, thereby creating an "elite" class of citizens.
Imagine if the same type of discretion were given to the issuance of a driver's license (something NOT specifically addressed in the Constitution)... "no, I'm sorry Mr. Smith - we just don't feel you've provided a justifiable need to operate a motor vehicle. There's plenty of public transportation options available to you". There would be an incredible outrage. But - take a right that the USC says "shall not be infringed", and infringe the hell out of it... not too many people seem to care.
Land of the Free.... who in the hell are we kidding?

idiots from getting or carrying handguns. The laws only affect those who choose to obey them. I see many such idiots every day, as I work in a prison. Laws and police are mainly reactive rather than proactive. They clean up messes and put perpetrators in the system.
Consider this point, that "pistol-free zones" tell criminals that their odds of having armed resistance is much lower if they do their criminal acts in such zones (or states).
Ken

Very good point.
Roy

In my state,New Hampshire the issuing of permits is up to the local police chief. An applicant fills out a form saying that he doesn't suffer from mental health,isn't a felon and is a resident. Then a State Criminal check is run and if clean it's good for 4 years for either $20. or $30.00. I'm a cop and have been for many years so I don't need a permit,although I always get one so that I have a history of having permits for the past 30+years. With President Bush signing the Police protection act I don't need one anywhere. Just my Dept. ID.

New Jersey, for example. Kinda communist if you ask me.
Craig C.