Armed citizen stops Utah shooting

Page 2 of 3
wrote:

Why do you say that?
Roy

As of one year ago, purchasing a weapon is damn near impossible much less carrying one (in fact, jail time if you're caught with a firearm) and a set of tax laws that would choke a horse. :-)
Here's the crime stats I eluded to in my other post in this thread:
http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/txcrime.htm
Texas got CC in 1996. Interesting to see the numbers before and after ...
Craig C.

Take a look here: www.packing.org
Then look in state ccw info, interesting stuff.
Roy

Good link. Jersey is worse than I thought.
(1) Issuance of the permit is almost completely discretionary, and New Jersey courts have upheld the policy of strictly limiting permits ``to persons specifically employed in security work . . . and to others who can establish an urgent necessity for carrying guns for self- protection". While NJ does issue non resident permits, few are allowed, and they are harder to obtain than a resident permit.
You have to provide a justifiable need to carry. I wonder if "I want to kill the criminal before he/she kills me" will work?
Texas is pretty easy. Take a course. Written test. Range test. Pay the fee and BLAM ... after they verify that you aren't a nutcase, you can carry. $140.00 for a four year permit.
Craig C.

Nope.... one famous story was of a jewelery store owner applying for a carry permit because he was carrying large amounts of cash to the bank. The judge told him he should hire private security. The owner pointed out that that would cost him almost his entire annual profits. The judge told him he should move.

Though I did not read them all, it appears that AZ might be the easiest state. Open carry state, no permit required to carry, as long as a part of the weapon/holster is visable it is not consealed. CCW course is 8 hours, about 65 bucks for it, pass the test and get permit for 5 years.

Nope... Vermont, and now more recently, Alaska. No permit for CCW required. As long as you can legally possess, you can legally carry.
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 23:24:30 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"

That is good within those states but, not good if you travel in states that would otherwise have reciprocity with their CCW. IOW, your permit - or lack of one - is worthless anywhere else.

Of course - I thought we were talking about which state made it easiest to CCW in.
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 06:06:54 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"

For someone who travels, it is much easier to have a permit from a state with reciprocity that gives you the freedom to legally carry elsewhere. Of course, if you never leave town, the easiest is no requirement. Personally, I don't think there should be any restriction on a law abiding person of age in any jurisdiction who has never been convicted of nor is under official investigation or indictment for a forcible or violent felony charge.
Regards
Lugnut

I like AZ man (who wouldn't) They will honor ANY states issued and valid CCW permit.

" I like AZ man (who wouldn't) "
I dunno, man, Gila Bend in August is a touch arid. But I DO admire their reciprocity.
Wolfie

Yeah, you have a point there.

People who like temps less than 125.
:-) Craig C.

That's why you live near the mexican boarder man, it's cooler and you have hunt 'cans! LOL

azwiley1 wrote:

People outside AZ don't realize how much the climate varies around the state. A couple weeks ago it was 15F below zero in Flagstaff.

I have only been to Phoenix and Yuma on business. Both in the summer. It was hotter than the hinges of hell.
I don't doubt that Flagstaff is much cooler ... and prettier.
Craig C.

Agree about the carry part - but what makes it "damn near impossible" to purchase one? I can buy any long gun I want whenever I want. Handguns are a little different - gotta apply for a purchase permit, which takes my local PD about twice the legal limit (statute says 30 days - usually takes 60+), but that's far from an impossibility.
On Feb 15, 1:16 pm, "Tom Lawrence"

I was referring specifically to handguns. I should have been clearer.

Trying to remember from when I was there ... you have to file a request for a permit to purchase. The area I was in, for a short time was Princeton. First off, finding a gun shop was a challenge. Then finding a gun shop with guns that were worth buying was even more difficult. I never filed my permit to purchase as I ended up back in Texas. My then boss, told me to move to PA if owning or carrying a gun was important to me. He had been waiting for over two months for his permit to buy. Last I talked to him, he never received his permit to buy.
I already had a carry permit from Texas ... which meant absolutely nothing to anyone in NJ. I was told that I could apply for a NJ HL, but that I would have to register my guns and supply a "need".
Do certain counties in NJ "add-on" to the state law?
Craig C.

Certain police departments do, yes. By law, handgun purchase permits must be approved in 30 days (45 days for non-resident), unless a specific reason exists for their denial. However, when that was challenged in court, the court ruled that the need to ensure the person was not prohibited was more important than meeting the statutory timeframe, and basically said the investigating dept. could take as long as they needed to verify a person's eligibility. The court was specifically referring to the time it took to get fingerprint checks back from the FBI, but of course their ruling got interpreted much broader than that.
My first set of permits, along with an FID card, took about 110 days (excuse used was 'prints not back from FBI yet'). My second set of permits took about 60 days (excuse here was 'county mental health check not completed yet' [insert your own comments here]). The clock's running on this current set... we'll see how long it takes this time around.
Boy - can't wait for the 'one handgun a month law' to get passed here (it's coming like a freight train)... I can almost guarantee that we'll then be restricted to applying for one purchase permit at a time - which will effectively turn it into a 'one handgun a quarter' law. Because, as we all know.... the criminals who are commiting all these homicides with handguns apply at their local PD to purchase them from a licensed dealer. And the fact that EVERY handgun purchased that way is registered with both the local PD and the state, as to make/model/caliber/serial # - AND every private person-to-person transfer is subsequently recorded in the exact same manner... making it IMPOSSIBLE (need a roll-eyes emoticon here) to trace a recovered handgun to it's last known owner....
But hey... it's all for the children.