Auto-Manual Swap

I just purchased a 1991 Dodge Ram 250 4x4 with the 12V Cummins and an automatic tranny. So far I've had no problems with the automatic other than the fact that she does slip a little. Personally, I strongly dislike an automatic tranny, due to the fact that I have bad luck with them. Before this auto takes a dump on me, I'd like to start to gather parts up for an auto-manual swap. Is this going to be an impossible project and I'd be better off just dumping another auto in it or can it be done? I'm not so worried about cost as I am about time. What kind of parts will I need? Is the pedal assembly easy to replace? Will my transfer case bolt up with matching linkage and shifter positioning? Will I need to shorten my driveshaft? Will the motor accept the manual flywheel? Any reply would be appreciated. I know I've probably forgotten something.

Reply to
diesel_smoke89

[...]

It would almost be cheaper to get a DTT automatic.

Reply to
Roy

I was going to do the same thing, swap in a manual for an automatic. I wound up buying another truck already set up exactly the way I wanted with the six speed and have no regrets about it. I wish you luck if you proceed with the swap. If you go ahead I'd advise using the NV4500 in lieu of the factory Getrag. Search for quad 4x4 in Montana, they have some good information on their website.

Reply to
BigIronRam

I was available both ways BUT Will need to change complete trans assembly, transfer case, driveshaft modify trans tunnel? Change the TCM module (computer) Would do it ONLY if you have a wreck truck to get the parts from

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

Or an ATS automatic :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Nah - the computer won't care... the only thing the computer did re: the AT back then was lock/unlock the converter. That's just a simple ground switch. There's no feedback to tell the computer if the lock-up really occurred.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Arrrrgggggg... Gotta go with what works for ya.

Okay, they both will get the job done.

Reply to
Roy