Auto Transmission fluid level

I changed the filters and fluid on my 1500, but I filled it a little to high. The level is almost to the "Hot" level when the engins is cold. Do I need to
remove some of the fluyid to bring it down to the "cold" level line. I do not understand why when I have the trany hot, the level drops down to the cold level. I do not want to damage anything with just 40,000 miles on the truck, but it would be a real pain to remove the excess fluid.

Are you checking the fluid level with the transmission in park or neutral?
aarcuda69062 wrote:

on a level surface, then shift into every gear and return back to park and check it. I just drove it and checked it and it is barely on the stick and the manual says it is best to check it hot.
Does this mean I amactually low on fluid?
Spotts wrote:

Check the level with engine running and transmission in neutral.
miles wrote:

I tried that and came up with the same results. I ran it through the gears and then left it in neutral and again it is barely showing on the stick. Below the "cold" mark. I'm wondering if I am actually low, but when it is cold, it shows areally full, up by the "hot" mark. Confusing and very uneasy!

Though he doesn't say what year his truck is, I'm willing to bet it's at least a 2002, which means he has a 45RFE or a 545RFE. These transmissions pump fluid in park, as well as neutral, so it doesn't matter.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

Thanks Tom!
It is a 2003 and it does have a 45RFE. I finally spoke with the dealership today and they said the dip stick will tell me to check in park or neutral. I had already checked in both and it did not make a difference, so I agree with you.
He did say that it must be checked when it is hot as it is much more accurate, so it appears that I am actually low on fluid and need to add a little more to get it up between the cold and hot level on the stick when the trany is hot.
If this does not sound right to you, let me know!
Thanks again!
My 02 Dakota 4x4 with tow package. Used 2 Gallons to top it off when I changed both filters. It had a 45RFE hope this will help.