Automatic Transmission Identification

Where can I find information on identifying automatic transmissions? I have one running in my 94 that's going bad and I have a "spare" tranny, but I want to know what it is. It is suppose to be an A998/99 out of an

89, but I'm not sure.
Reply to
erwatt
94 what?

the 998/99 won't work in a truck with the AT w/OD without mods, and it won't work in a Ram due to capacity.

Reply to
Max Dodge

The 94 is a Dodge Ram 250 Van with a 518 tranny. The temporary tranny is out of a 89 Ram 250 Van and the sticker under the hood calls for a

998/99. However, I don't think it is the original tranny in this van. The tranny does not have any identification numers. I also have the complete 89 van to rob parts. Both trannys have a 3 wire connector, the 89 connector is larger than the 94. The 89 pan is flat and pretty much square except the back corner on driver's side is cut away. If you could help, I would appreciate it!
Reply to
erwatt

The donor trans is likely what it says it is, a 998/999 varient of the 904 family. It will bolt up to the engine you have in the 94, but crossmember, driveshaft length, and a number of other things will be problems you need to deal with. It would be cheaper to just rebuild the 518 and get it back into the 94 in a timely manner.

Reply to
Max Dodge