Autotrans disassembly

I want to replace the rear transmission bushing , and seals on a 1992 B250 van, 3 speed automatic. Although this van has only about 60 thousand miles
on it, the rear bushing (where the spline exits the tranny), was replaced once before. The dealer did it the first time, and I'm doing it this time. There is about an 8th of an inch of lateral play in the shaft and this seems to causes the drive line to vibrate at 55 mph. The rear of the transmission case will back off from the tranny about a quarter inch and doesn't want to go any farther. I assumed it would just slide off. Before I get the really big crowbar, is there something I'm missing that prevents it from sliding off? The speed sensor and all external hardware is out.
thx bg.
Yup. You are missing the small metal plate under the trans mount that hides the bigass snap ring that holds the shaft onto the rear bearing. You'll need a big phillips and a set of snap ring pliers.
--
Max

later models use a T-25 Torx-head screw instead of Phillips
but same procedure

B250
miles
replaced
time.
really
sliding
Ahhh - the ol' hidden snap ring trick! Thanks for the help. bg Max Dodge wrote in message ...

need
and
miles
time.
really
Once apart, I noticed that the bushing had slid up towards the trans completely. Luckily the case is not damaged or worn. I've been running it with just the seal for support. This must be an ongoing problem. Do you think I could use locktight? bg Max Dodge wrote in message ...

need
and
miles
time.
really
take one of those spring-loaded center punches and dimple the inside of the bore before you put the bushing in
do it 6-8 places
then use LocTite on the outside of the bushing
use a press and a big socket (closed end) to install it
then make sure the yoke fits inside it BEFORE you put it back together, if too snug, a small cylinder (or large brake) hone with ATF as a lube will clean it up
you want a bit of 'slop', not much, but don't leave it too tight

B250
replaced
want
sliding
bg wrote in message ...

So I had to wait a week to get the new bushing special order. It turns out to be the wrong bushing. Two different dodge dealers came up with the same part number. They were able to use the VIN number to determine what transmission I had. I went to a ma and pa transmission shop and the counter guy recognized the bushing as a FORD part! No shit, the ford bushing was an exact fit. My wife says "no wonder it broke".