Autotrans disassembly

I want to replace the rear transmission bushing , and seals on a 1992 B250 van, 3 speed automatic. Although this van has only about 60 thousand miles on it, the rear bushing (where the spline exits the tranny), was replaced once before. The dealer did it the first time, and I'm doing it this time. There is about an 8th of an inch of lateral play in the shaft and this seems to causes the drive line to vibrate at 55 mph. The rear of the transmission case will back off from the tranny about a quarter inch and doesn't want to go any farther. I assumed it would just slide off. Before I get the really big crowbar, is there something I'm missing that prevents it from sliding off? The speed sensor and all external hardware is out.

thx bg.

Reply to
bg

Yup. You are missing the small metal plate under the trans mount that hides the bigass snap ring that holds the shaft onto the rear bearing. You'll need a big phillips and a set of snap ring pliers.

Reply to
Max Dodge

later models use a T-25 Torx-head screw instead of Phillips

but same procedure

Reply to
TranSurgeon

take one of those spring-loaded center punches and dimple the inside of the bore before you put the bushing in

do it 6-8 places

then use LocTite on the outside of the bushing

use a press and a big socket (closed end) to install it

then make sure the yoke fits inside it BEFORE you put it back together, if too snug, a small cylinder (or large brake) hone with ATF as a lube will clean it up

you want a bit of 'slop', not much, but don't leave it too tight

Reply to
TranSurgeon

So I had to wait a week to get the new bushing special order. It turns out to be the wrong bushing. Two different dodge dealers came up with the same part number. They were able to use the VIN number to determine what transmission I had. I went to a ma and pa transmission shop and the counter guy recognized the bushing as a FORD part! No shit, the ford bushing was an exact fit. My wife says "no wonder it broke".

Reply to
bg