B1500 Cooling problems

Have a 1999 dodge Van Wagon (V6) with cooling problems - I made it back home in time and the check engine light coming on just for a tick. I ended up pulling out the thermalstat and placing it in boiling water only to see that it never opened up. Thinking that I found the gremlin, I elected to just leave it out and tried running the engine again. This time after 5 - 10 minutes of running, I turned off the motor and heard the water boiling in the engine (no coolant added yet). Thinking of no circulation, I then pulled off the water pump hoping that the impeller was loose or something, but that was not the case. The radiator passes water fine as I can tell. Filled the cap and watch it drain out the petcock.

I'm at a loss of why I have little or no water circulation when the thermalstat is out and the water pump seems to be intact and looks normal to me. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. Any thoughts and comments are more than welcome.

Rice

Reply to
riceguy66

Try running it for a few minutes and feel the radiator for hot and cool spots.

Reply to
Roy

I did notice the upper hose gets very hot long before the bottom one does

Reply to
riceguy66

I changed out the radiator this morning and that did the trick all problems solved - guess it was at the last end of life along with the stuck thermalstat - nothing like two problems causing one symptom to drive one crazy

Reply to
riceguy66