B3500 bumper tow capacity?

I have a 94 Dodge Van, B3500. I believe it's like the 15 passenger version.

It runs off CNG, and I believe the tanks are too big to mount a frame hitch.

So now my question is.. I want to tow several (450-500 pound) motorcycles about 600 miles to bike week. what's my best configuration and how heavy of a trailer can I tow from the bumper?

rear seats are gone. Should I load two bikes in the back? or just tow?

And then how much weight can i expect the bumper to pull without damage/risk ?

Reply to
motorpsychol

Given the long overhang of rear end past axle, It is not a good towing platform and I would limit tongue weight to about 300lbs or so and trailer to about 3000lbs max too for safty and stabilty reasons.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Thanks! I found that the van came with a manual! (duh on me).

It recommends 2000 pounds from the bumper. The rear doesn't hang too far away from the backwheel. I measured around 31 inches from center of the rear hub to the ball on the bumper (not straght to the ball mind you, but if the ball were mounted say on the right corner of the bumper and i measuered there to the axle). It's not one of those vans that has like 4 feet hanging behind the rear wheel.

So I'm figured I can tow about 4 bikes for a total of under 2000 pounds... with 200-300 tongue weight...

now I'm thinkng I should be able to put two more bikes in the back, if they're at around 400 pounds each.

So it looks like i can take 6 bikes.

Anyone see a problem with this setup ? Originially I was thinkng open trailer.. would there be any benefits to using an enclosed trailer?

I'm used to using regular hitches, is there anything to else to consider using a bumpber hitch? less rearward turn angle?

Reply to
motorpsychol

Yep... I can always tell the vehicles that tow from the bumper... they're the ones with the two dents on either side of the license plate :)

Try and use a trailer with a straight tongue, instead of a 'V' that joins at the coupler. This will increase your turning radius.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

A enclosed triler might actually have a bit less drag if it is not taller than van as the open bikes will cause a lot of drage and a enclosed trailer will also protech them from elements too and a theft deterent as well.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Before you bunper tow, price a class three hitch. They are not very expensive, not hard to put on. You are towing bikes that total what in value?

Reply to
Alex

He already said he can't fit a hitch because of the CNG tank.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

No, he just said he doesn't believe he can fit a frame hitch, not that he definitely can't fit one. "It runs off CNG, and I believe the tanks are too big to mount a frame hitch." If he checks the dimensions he might find one that fits.

Reply to
JPH

I double checked.. the tanks aren't in the way of the frame rails but the control valves are mounted to the frame. I suppose I'll take it to a trailer place and see if they can mount a frame hitch...

if they can, that will give me a lot more tow capacity.. woohoo! :)

thanks all for your help!

ps average bike value.. probably about $5500 :)

Reply to
motorpsychol

You wouldn't Tom and that's fine. Motorpsychol may not and that's his call. I would find a good welding shop and find a way to install a frame mounted hitch. Aren't differing opinions interesting?

Reply to
Alex

Hmm I never thought about that.. good idea!

thanks

Reply to
motorpsychol

I guessyou have not seen a CNG tank installation. It will need a custom made hitch to be able to install one because of size and mounting of tanks.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Yes, I have. That's why I said if he checks the dimensions he might find one that fits. Different companies install CNG with different clearances. A lot depends on the size of the tanks and how they're mounted. Different hitch manufacturers also create hitches with different ways of frame mounting and dimensions. Can't rule out a frame hitch without taking measurements. Or, as you say, possibly a custom hitch.

Reply to
JPH