bad idle, stumbling near back fire HELP!!

I have a 95 ram with the 318 and od transmission that is driving me nuts!!! From a cold start everything is great, no problems but when she warms up
(5mins or so)the idle goes to hell, bouncing from 300 to about 1000 and sometimes stalls when I go to crawl away from a stop and sometimes seems to almost back fire as it tries to catch itself. If I keep the rpm up around 1200 or so it is fine. After the rpm are up she runs as good as it ever did!! Plugs, wires, cap and button were all changed but with no effect but all this computer stuff messes me up. Any idea's as to the problem and cure?
Vacuum leak possibly.
--
Laszlo Almasi