ball joint noise

Don't really know if the title of this post is relevant to my problem but here goes. I have an '02 Durango and had the ball joints repaired as per
the recall back in January of this year. Just this past week I started hearing what sounded like a rattle (sort of metalic sounding) whenever I would hit a bump in the road. It was coming from the driver's side and as far as I could tell, was in the front. Anyway, on Monday I took it to my local mechanic and they checked it over. They adjusted some dust shields and wheel well shields in the front of my car. They said they weren't on right and were probably causing the rattling. Yesterday I started hearing it again and today went back to my mechanic and they told me I should bring it over to my dealer as they were told, by the person at the dealer, that several people brought their autos back with similar symptoms as mine which were possibly related to the ball joints. Has anyone heard of problems resulting from the work on ball joints on their autos? I have an appointment next Thursday to bring my car in and hopefully will find out then.
Check the lower shock mount.

My 02 Dakota had the lower ball joints replaced at 38,000 I also had the top ones replaced per the recall.

I had mine replaced also this past January but now I'm hearing some weird rattling going on in that general area. My mechanic adjusted some dust shields in the front wheel areas that they thought might be causing the problem. However, the next day it came back so I called them up and they, in turn, called my dealer who said I should bring it up to them. Someone at the dealer told my mechanic that several other people had brought their vehicles in with similar symptoms.

I've noticed a similar rattling. I haven't had my truck's ball joints replaced yet as I'm not sure the Chrysler dealer here in the UK will/can do that sort of recall work on a US Dodge.
But I have noticed the rattling, but generally only when the window's down. When I'm in the driver's seat it sounds like it's on that side, but when I'm a passenger, sounds like it's on that side, in the front. Sort of sounds like a rattling tailgate, but in the wrong place. Could this be the same thing?
jmc
Suddenly, without warning, J exclaimed (27-Aug-05 1:52 PM):