Battery post/connector corroding.

My battery in my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 is corroding up lately on the negative post. Tonight I cleaned it for the third time this past year. Is it time for a new battery?
Thanks Bob AZ
Ace wrote:

Sounds like it. How old is your battery? Its very common for corrosion to creep under the cables insulation and destroy the cable. Check that this isn't happening before you have to replace the cable as well. Arizona heat is tough on batteries.
miles wrote:

Battery is original so it is 5 years old. Actually I bought the truck in September so it has a few months to go. But I am sure it was manufactured at least 5 years ago.
So now the truck has reached the time where things will have to be replaced. Only 30K miles so far.
Thinking about getting an Optima battery. Was at COSTCO today to get a new Optima battery. They were out of stock of the "Red" capped ones. I will check the other store tomorrow.
So far no apparent damage to the cable.
Take care Bob AZ
Ace wrote:

--
.boB
Arrived: 2006 FXDI, Red.
.boB wrote:

.boB
Never had any to start with. This is the original battery. Perhaps I will get some felt washers today.
But why just the negative terminal/post? Is the battery leaking. It is a no maintenence battery and the caps are secured in place.
Bob AZ
If it is the original battery, then it is due for replacement and yes, there could be minor leaks at the terminal. Those felt washers do work well. 3 years and the terminals still look as good as the day they were installed.
"Ace" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
Ace wrote:

I just replaced the battery in my truck a few months ago. 5 years and 75K miles, it started to get a little weak. According to consumer reports Sears, autozone, and interstate are the best batteries. The fancy Optimas spiral battery wasn't rated too well. It didn't perform any better than the other. It's only advantage is that it's very well sealed and has a very tough case. I bought mine at Autozone.
--
.boB
Arrived: 2006 FXDI, Red.

Good question... I've worked on lot of cars and trucks that needed the terminals and cables cleaned and it seems that it's always the negative post that corrodes the worst.. Mac

Negative electrons attract the phyrious metals found in corrosion. (kinda like a rust). The positive repels and the negative attracts.
--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!
On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 21:50:49 GMT, "MoParMaN"

Thank you sir... I knew someone in the group would know why.... Ya gotta love the info base here.. Mac

Yep, Usenet is full of good stuff.
--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!