Battery question.....

Page 2 of 3
So how well am I doing practicing Buddism? I still need to work on the victim part but otherwise I think that I'm getting the hang of it.

"Roy" < snipped-for-privacy@home.net> wrote in message

This is the 3rd/4th battery. The first one (OEM) completely crapped out quite some time ago. I replaced that with a battery from Batteries Plus (their brand) which was a mistake. They replace it with an Optima (Red Top) and I just paid the difference so it wasn't a big deal til that one died....than I was a tad pissed. I do have an aftermarket stereo that does draw a lot of current but I figureded at the level I'm pushing it, the stock charging system woud be enough. I'm going to have that checked out this week and will go from there. On a side note, I've been watching my voltage gauge on start up and, if I recall, it always jumped right up to 14 volts or so as soon as started. Now, it seems to creep up rather slowly so I'm thinking maybe I have a charging issue. Been wanting a high output alternator anyway so maybe it's time to start looking.
Laszlo Almasi

Creeping up is usually a symptom of a severely discharged battery or a defective alternator but if it is reaching 14 volts, at that point the battery is getting all that it needs.
"Carolina Watercraft Works" < snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
Well, you'll find out who is right or not when you do the tests and/or the repairs, Laszlo.
I wish you luck.
Budd

Will let you guys know what the diagnosis is.
Laszlo Almasi
Thanks. I appreciate that.
Budd

Ok, 74 amps at idle, 165 amps at 2500 rpm is the test result.
Laszlo Almasi
Something is drawing a heck of a lot of current, or your regulator is gone south.
Budd

I had everything turned off. I just returned from the dealer where I inquired about a few things related to the clock spring recall...and having a new steering wheel installed when they do that. And they brought up any other recalls that may need to be taken care of....well, something I haven't heard of came up. Recall number B04, power distribution center cable connection...part number CBS1B040. Could this have anything to do with my problem? It makes sense to do this first since it is free and then see what happens but it would be nice to know more about this recall.
Laszlo Almasi
I am not the one to answer that as I was just trying to answer a general battery problem you seemed to be having. Tom Lawrence would be more likely to be able to answer that part.
Budd

are those numbers with a VAT 40 load test??? how steady did voltage stay?
--
----------------------------
-Chris

Isn't VAT 40 about 30 years old now? That's what we were using before I got out of that racket. Remember the VAT 28? The inductive pickup on the 40 was a big deal to us.

yes the VAT 40 is old but it is a true resistive load test. these little micro junk things I'm not personally sure I entirely trust to diagnose an alternator.
the VAT 28 is a little (well ok maybe more than a little) before my time.
--
----------------------------
-Chris

Well, heck, check out this antique on eBag. I used some of these for several years before the vat 40 came out.
http://tinyurl.com/y24c9o

You would have better luck teaching nuclear physics to a bunch of retards.
beekeep
It feels exactly like that trying to explain anything to him.
"beekeep" < snipped-for-privacy@radix.net> wrote in message

Budds way of saying "It's way above my mental capacity!"

You better stick to religion because your electrical engineering is very lacking. T-bone is right.
beekeep