beast blew a tire today

Going down the road today and I hear some impacts on the body. I look around and don't see anything of note so I keep going. Another minute or so and I've got some imbalance in the steering wheel -- something has gone wrong with the wheel - bet I lost a wheel weight.

I get to the store and pull in - look at the front tire. Darn thing is half flat. Then, i spot it....a big chunk of the sidewall is gone. The missing chuck was half the size of my fist! The wheels are not pointed straight ahead and I needed to change it for sure so I hopped in the truck

- turned on the engine and spun the steering wheel straight. The stress of turning the wheel while stopped way just too much for the old tire. It blew and went all the way flat.

I count my blessings.....midday sun, flat parking lot, good weather, got an inflated spare, jack and all tools (including flashlight). I unpack the jack, spare and tool set and start jacking up the front end. I get 3/4 of the necessary height and the crimped rod that operates the jack starts free wheeling. Sheesh.

Looked over the tools and as it turns out, the lug wrench has a tire iron on the opposite end that fits in the jack slot. I slid the rachet over the tire iron and used that to raise the jack the rest of the way.

You folks might want to check your spare tire and especially the rod that operates the jack. You never know when you may need to use it.

Reply to
James Douglas

I had to replace the rear axle in my 97 Dakota. I was going to take the spare out to make some extra room, but the end of the rod that lowers the spare rounded off and the hoist seems to be frozen. Haven't had time to fix it and no flat yet.

Any ideas on fixing this?

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Hot penetrating oil over several days for the hoist. Can you use a grinder to face the rod?

Reply to
James Douglas

It is the internal part of the extension that goes through the bumper that is rounded. I can probably fabricate something to accomplish the task or just go buy a new one.

Thanks for the reply and the hot pen oil idea.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart