Because it's been aaweful quiet around here...

Thought I'd throw out a question or two. I might get an answer, but likely it'll devolve into a spirited discussion about something non-Dodge :) It's been way too quiet around here.

Sooo... 2001 Dodge Dakota, 4.7l, v8, almost 90k miles ... noticed the oil pressure is verrry slightly into high. Like, it was right on the line, then it was about the width of the needle, now it's a teeny bit more than that, over a period of months - so hardly an emergency. Oil change is due so thought if something needed looked into, now's the time. Some posts online consider this normal for Dakotas, but it didn't use to be this high.

Likely it's not the wrong weight oil, but I'll definitely check with my mechanic next time. Been requesting full synthetic.

I have read/heard that Dakotas tend to "gum up" somewheres, and need a good flush - can't remember if that's the fuel system or the oil. Someone I met recently who had just purchased a 2001 got a flush (one or the other, forget which) and it really made a difference in how their truck runs.

Oh, fwiw it still has that little shudder on braking. Definitely NOT the brakes, can't feel it in the pedal at all, and they've been checked

3x. When I brake, sometimes the whole truck shudders (not horribly, but visibly). When truck gets down to a few mph, it feels - oval. Like an egg rolling lenghthwise, if that makes any sense. I suspect it's something in the back end. Any ideas welcome.

Hope y'all had an awesome Thanksgiving filled with family, tasty birds, and lots of CCCs!

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Summer weight oil, with cooler temperatures will result in initial higher OP readings. How about when the engine we well warmed up, is it still seemingly higher?

Of course, it well could be a gauge problem, one would really be best off (if you wanted to really figure out what's up) using a good, calibrated mechanical gauge to confirm the oil pressure.

Also, (just to add to the discussoin value of this thread) the color of the truck affects oil pressure: red trucks run higher, while blue ones are often lower. Silver trucks are almost always dead on, while white trucks are usually dirty and need washing.

Reply to
PeterD

Suddenly, without warning, PeterD exclaimed (11/27/2010 9:08 AM):

Yup, when engine's warmed up it's still up there, just past the edge of high. I'll ask 'em to check with a mechanical gauge when I bring it in; the slow upward fade does sort of sound more like a failing gauge to me.

As far as the engine grunge bit, I've seen some recommendations for Seafoam. Could I add some in now, run it for a 100 miles, then have them do the oil change? I'd then put more in after the change, right?

As for the color, my truck's both green (which you didn't mention) and silver, which based on your analysis is a bit alarming - perhaps the silver secondary color is keeping the gauge a bit lower, and in actuality the pressure is much higher? 8-0

My truck is also dirty and needs washing, so perhaps that's weighing it down a bit.

On the good side it's fairly happy - my gas mileage is the best it's ever been, about 18.5 with mixed driving, 20+ on the highway. Used to be more like 16/18.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Great reply. I've never used Seafoam but I've not heard any horror stories about it...

I think a mechanical gauge is the only way to prove it is really too high, and not just a gauge/sender/PCM problem. But one thing to check is perhaps the PCM will display what it thinks the oil pressure is in the live data stream? That may narrow it down, as if the PCM says the oil pressure is OK, that would perhaps indicate a problem with the dash/gauge itself.

Reply to
PeterD

I'd toss a mech. gauge on it to see whats up. If it is the dash gauge I'd be installing a aftermarket gauge.bracket under the dash to keep an eye on things. Cost is probably $40.00.

I'm betting it is the sending unit though

Apple pie this time!!!

Oh, as a update.

Denny had to be lifted with a fork truck from the table again this year. But true to form, he rallied and grabbed a case of slider's for desert.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Cleaning the oil galleries is a simple process. Drain the oil and refill with automatic transmission fluid. Let the engine idle for 15 to 20 min. Then drain the fluid, change the filter, and add new cheap oil. Run for one week and the change the filter and add new oil.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Sending unit is going bad hopefully. was one of the most posted "little" problems when I looked to buy mine, I think it usually showed low on most forums I read, but could do other way as well as far as I know.

Reply to
PlowBoy

Hey JMC

I have a 2001 Dak with the 4.7 as well ... just noticed you post about mileage ... got my curiosity up re mileage improvement ..is your truck

2WD/4WD or AWD ??

Also ... how did you get the mileage up on it ???

Fred

Reply to
Fred Allen

Suddenly, without warning, Fred Allen exclaimed (12/5/2010 6:00 PM):

4WD. It's had quite a bit of work on it in the last year though, not quite sure which bits might explain the mileage. Heck, I can't even remember all that's been done to it. Most recently, the PCM was replaced, but the MPG wasn't bad before the PCM utterly failed, either.

jmc

Reply to
jmc