Big Dodge Dualley Hemi dead!

My son has a 2004 Dodge with the 5.7 Hemi engine. Last week as he was driving, the truck just quit. He had the truck towed to the Dodge dealer, and when they went to pulled the truck in the next day, it fired right up.
They could not find nothing wrong with the truck, so he picked it up, and it ran fine up til today, when it quit in the middle of a hay field, with a load of hay on it! When this happens, the ignition goes totally dead, and it won't do anything. The truck was bought used with 12,000 miles on it. The battery and everything else is good. Anybody else ran accros this problem?
Suddenly, without warning, Maxidyne exclaimed (04-Jul-05 3:17 AM):

I know this doesn't help, but I have seen this before - in around 1985 on a boyfriends Jeep Wrangler with reportedly a Corvette engine (he bought it that way). We called it the Malignant Falcon. Fortunately, we were still able to pop the clutch to get the thing started, so always parked it backed up a hill. Otherwise, it'd start again eventually, though I can't remember how long. He couldn't afford to take it to a mechanic, so I don't know what was wrong. Seems like a heat related issue to me, though.
I haven't tried it in years, is it possible anymore to start a stick by popping the clutch these days? Was able to with a 1976 Chevette and with a 1988 Mitsu p/u, but I could never do it with my 1991 Mitsu p/u, and have never tried it with the Dak.
jmc
I appreciate the reply, but truck has an automatic tranny.
Maxidyne wrote:

This has been a rather common problem with the 2004 Dodge Durango with Hemi 5.7L. NHTSA has started an investigation and is collecting consumer reports to see if it is serious enough to warrant a recall. My 2004 Durango Hemi now has 18K on it and has never stalled but I have several friends that have had this issue. Dealers say Chrysler has not found the problem and has not offered them any solution. Sounds like an electrical, computer problem.
"Maxidyne" wrote:

You have a electroincs module that is failing when it gets hot or possible and connection pulling loose with heat in harness somewhere. I will bet you the its first owner had a simulair problem and got rid of it at 12,000 miles out of frustration.
I know this might sound dumb. But it might have been overlooked. Check the negative terminal to the battery. My wifes 03 was doing the same thing. Turned out the negative battery cable was never tightened from the factory...