Bleeding fuel system 2001 Ram Diesel

After changing the fuel filter I need to bleed the low pressure fuel supplyline - I followed the manual (loosen banjo bolt turn key to crank position and release to on) did this MANY times but still getting no fuel in this line - any suggestions?

Reply to
kendev

Are you sure the lift pump is running? Crack the fitting on top of the filter canister that comes directly from the pump - see if you get fuel there. If so, something's plugged downstream from there. If not, your lift pump may be toast.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

pump is running - I can hear it.

Reply to
kendev

Pump works - I can hear it running...

Reply to
kendev

Just because you can hear it running doesn't mean that it is working.

Reply to
TBone

If you didn't fill the canister housing with fuel before putting it together it may take several tries to get fuel to the banjo fitting. The procedure is explained fairly well here:

Nosey

These lift pump are famous for failing. It is a poor design. The actual design flaw is up for argument, but most agree there is a flaw. You probably have a bad lift pump if you aren't getting any fuel. you might hear it running, but it no pump. Now for the warranty. You have a 5/100K warranty on it, but are probably just out of warranty now. If so, you can get the lift pump from a Cummins dealer cheaper than the Dodge dealer. You can get a Carter replacement from some auto part stores, which is the same pump, but does not have the Dodge/Cummins-specific connectors for the fuel lines and electrical connections. You can go this route if you don't mind a little modification of the fuel system. I just read about a guy who did this on

He didn't have a dealer close by, either Dodge or Cummins, but had a Summit, who carried the Carter version, close by, so he modified the fuel system a little, and is happy.

Chris

Reply to
Stamey

I think it's very unlikely that the lift pump would decide to shit the exact moment he decided to change the fuel filter. Even if the lift pump did go out he would have most likely seen symptoms before now. The fact that the OP put up two messages within one hour and then hasn't replied to any other posts since then leads me to believe that he got it running.

Reply to
Nosey

That is when most find out that the lift pump is not working. When the lift pump fails the injector pump will pull the fuel, and all appears okay. When you change the filter then it becomes real apparent the lift pump has gone south and your injector pump is right behind.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Quit making sense dammit, it's annoying! ;^) I thought the lack of power symptoms would be very noticeable but after a bit of research I discovered several people claimed not to notice any power difference until after changing a failed pump.

Reply to
Nosey

Remember who you're talking to. It's his job to be annoying...

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Every so often I get lucky.

From what I have learned the lift pump provides more fuel than is required to run the engine. The excess fuel cools the inj pump. No lift pump and the engine seems fine until the lack of cooling takes it's toll on the inj pump, then as it fails the performance declines.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Hi fur face how ya doin'??

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Not bad. Planting is done. Baling hay is next but that's a couple of weeks off. The next project is converting my b-i-l's 2n over to 12v. You having fun?

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Guess it is time to hijack this thread anyway. Been working so damn much ot haven't had time to do much of anything but sleep when I'm home. Am going to try to get out on the quad this afternoon for a couple of hours. Have some coyotes that have been forced in close due to all the development that are becoming a pia. Maybe I will find where they are hanging out. Kind of a screwed up deal, building way too much, non of it commercial, all residential. Tax's are going to go through the roof. Ordered the pond should be here in 6 weeks. Weighs a bunch, close to 7K. Guess we will see just how strong the deck is. Figured on it when we built it, so should be okay.

So Mr. Hathcock, how's the shoot'n been doing? What are you paying for gas and diesel out there?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

7K?? That must me without you, right?? Coyote are considered varmints around here, I haven't got any but I know of several guys that have plinked a few. I just get the hogs and a few coons that get in the barn.

Next meet is next Sunday, I'll be sure to let you know. Who knows, I may get lucky again...

Depends on the weekend and the mood of the gas co. Gas is anywhere from $1.80 to $2.20 for 87 octane and oil stays fairly constant $2.15-$2.20.

Denny

Reply to
Denny