Blower motor 83 Dodge pickup

I have a 1983 D-150 Pickup (V8, 2WD). What would cause the heater to suddenly begin blowing warm air out of the air conditioning vents? My mechanic brushed me off by saying the blower motor resistor was bad and that Dodge didn't make them any more, so there was nothing he could do. It doesn't quite add up to me. I'd like to return to my mechanic with a little knowledge, maybe get him to fix it this time. Clark

Reply to
Clark

You mean all on it's own, Poltergeist-style? Because, normally, a heater is supposed to blow warm air.

Or do you mean you have it set for A/C, and it suddenly gets warm instead of cold?

You get points for including your vehicle description, but you get deductions for lack of problem explanation.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I'll try to explain more thoroughly: first if all, the AC broke a long time ago and I had the compressor removed. But, the heater works and when it was on, warm air never came out of those vents before. This is all I know. Clark

Reply to
Clark

Double check the controls settings (defrost / heat or A/C) and if those are right, start checking the vacuum lines to the air doors in the heater box.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

He gave the problem Tom and it is fairly straight forward. When set to heat, the warm air is now coming out of the AC vents instead of the floor. Not exactly difficult to figure this out.

Reply to
TBone

The blower motor resistor controls the blower speed, not where the air comes out of. The air direction is vacuum controlled and the default vent position (no vacuum) in most systems are the front (AC) vents which would indicate a vacuum leak somewhere.

Reply to
TBone

Well, then I bow to your powers of ESP - because in his original post, it wasn't clear at all that he was in fact selecting heat, turning the blower on, and selecting floor vents. Once you get those additional pieces of (apparently irrelevant) information, it's fairly obvious that it's a vacuum-related problem.

You know what I'm thinking now, so I won't bother typing it out...

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

LOL, sorry Tom, but you get what you give. He said his HEATER was blowing warm air out of the AC vents. The word HEATER should have tipped you off, no ESP required here. Now you get an idea what it feels like to be hit with petty BS for a change.

Reply to
TBone

But the HEATER doesn't BLOW, Tom... the blower motor does (hence why his mechanic was giving him a line about his ballast resistor).

Not at all... he wasn't specific, I asked for clarification, he gave it, and then he got some answers. Now I'm happy.

You may now do what it is that you do best: argue for no reason whatsoever. Proceed, sir...

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I guess that depends on how you define heater. I define it as a unit consisting of the core, blower, ducting, and housing and in that case, it most certianly can blow.

LOL, actually, no, the motor simply turns, it is the fan that blows if you want to get that anal and his mechanis is either an idiot or just didn't want to be bothered to come out with that answer.

And I'm glad to hear it :-) but I gave him an answer before he posted his clarification (or at least before I saw it).

There is really nothing to argue about but I see you still don't get what I was saying, oh well.

Reply to
TBone

Whoop-te-do, Tom. According to Google and Teranews, I beat your answer by one minute.

What's your point in riding Tom L. about this?

The one trying to argue, from a third party viewpoint, is you. Tom L. always makes sure, as do I if needed, that complete information is given so the best answer can be determined.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

And your point is?

I am doing no such thing and what business is it of yours anyway?

Well, you seemed to answer it without the need for that additional information. There is no argument here I just wanted to give Tom a little taste of the crap he has been giving me lately, nothing more, nothing less and sadly, the point was missed by all, imagine that.

Reply to
TBone

Hey, you were the one sounding like the super expert mechanic, Tom. Doesn't feel so good when you get called down like you do to others, does it?

(HELLO!!! ANYONE HOME???) Well, golly gee, Tom, as you are so fond of pointing out to others when you stick your nose in, THIS IS UNMODERATED USENET!!!!! Anyone can respond to anyp post in any unmoderated group.

And I was curious as to why you were riding his butt.

I just did my best I could from my experience.

Ah . . . .I've never seen him call you out on a point unless you were in the wrong, but you call him out on a point that is not a wrong . . . . . . nope, I don't think I missed your real point.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran