Blue tooth??

This is something I know nothing about(along with a ton of other things). Anyway the Charger has it. I have to get a cell phone that has it as well. That's as far as I go. What do ya have to do to operate them? Do they kinda initialize themselves like a key fob?

I have a month or two to get this understood. tia

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I thought it was blue spray paint for your teeth

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Pretty much. The vehicle should have a button that can be used to put it into binding mode which should be written out in your owners manual. There may also be a code that will need to be entered into the phone but you will have to look at the documentation for both of them. Once set up, it is great.

Reply to
TBone

"Roy" wrote in news:JPOdnSLdg7WHHj_YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

It's just another way that devices communicate. When the phone and the car both have it, you can do stuff like make calls and answer your phone through the car stereo. The idea is that the stereo becomes an extension of the phone.

Reply to
Joe

Spoken with experience I'm sure.

I thought down south it was tooth not teeth.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Thank you Tom.

Reply to
Roy

So the phone become hands free?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

He's from Georgia. Most of us have teeth here. You must be thinking of Alabama. Did you know the toothbrush was invented in Alabama? Anywhere else it would have been called a teethbrush.

Reply to
Nosey

You guys got it all wrong it is a new breed of hound instead of finding blue ticks like it's cousin it finds blue teeth.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Yes it does and if your phone supports it, hands free dialing as well. Depending on your system, if your phone rings the stereo will mute and you will hear it thru the stereo sound system as well and then all you need to do is press the blue tooth button (wherever it is) and the phone will answer and you will be able to speak and hear the caller hands free thru your vehicle sound system. If the phone you buy supports voice commands (and most blue tooth phones do) all you will need to do is press that same activation button and the phone will ask you for a command thru the vehicles sound system. You can then tell it who to call (on your phone list) and it will do it hands free or you can check your battery or signal strength and the phone will tell you what they are. Like I said, it's pretty cool.

Reply to
TBone

Are you drinking tidy bowl again?

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Depending on your phone, once it is paired with your car, you may have to press a button to re-link it (not the intial pairing, usually just select the yes or no option) whenever you take it out of blue tooth range, then re-enter range. I think most phones can be set to automatically re-link with any paired device whenever you come into range. If the various devices support it, you can also pair multiple devices together (for instance 1 car paired with 2 phones or 2 cars paired with 2 phone, 1 phone paired with a car and an ear-bug, etc.).

Reply to
Ed H.

Generally, you have to set a code (your choice) on both the car stereo and the phone so they only talk to each other. You don't want the guy in the lane next to you yapping on his phone coming through your stereo. But once you do that, it's pretty much automatic. Pretty cool stuff.

"Ed H." wrote in news:gJBoh.956$3h5.647@trnddc01:

Reply to
Joe

I have Bluetooth in both my Dodges and love it. Somewhere Dodge has a list of tested phones that are compatible with Mopars U-Connect bluetooth. I have a Treo 650 and a Treo 700 which both work great.

The first time you use your phone with your car you have to do whats called Pairing. It's a way for your truck and phone to initialize communication. Normally you enter a 4 digit code into the phone and use voice commands to enter the same code into the U-Connect on your truck. Once thats done you won't have to do that again.

Once paired you push the U-Connect button (Normally on your mirror) and follow the voice prompts to store names and phone numbers, dial a number, call a particular name etc.

Reply to
miles

You never have to touch your phone at all. The only button you push is your trucks U-Connect button to either answer an incoming call or to make a call using voice command.

Reply to
miles

With Dodges U-Connect system the phone does not need to support voice commands in order to dial using voice commands. The U-Connect system has its own support for that. While my phone does have voice command support I have never set it up. I use the U-Connects voice prompts and all works great. The phone list is stored in the U-Connect rather than using the list in my phone.

Reply to
miles

My Treo 650 automatically connects to the U-Connect as soon as I turn the key on. No buttons to push.

Reply to
miles

So, any Blue Tooth enabled phone paired to the Dodge U-Connect system will use the same voice prompts to place a call? If so, that's pretty neat! Do you need to include 10 digits (area code + 7) in the U-Connect system to accommodate roving cell phones?

Reply to
Ed H.

Yep! The voice prompts are the same in every U-Connect vehicle regardless of the phone used. You need to store the numbers in the U-Connect exactly how they need to be dialed, including 1, or area code etc. To have it dial a stored number you say "CALL" and then say the name of the person and then "WORK", "HOME" or "MOBILE". You can also tell it to dial a number by saying the word "DIAL" and then the number. Voice recognition is very good. You do not train it to your own voice. It seems to work with most people except those with a heavy southern accent.

Reply to
miles

You folks always come through, Thanks for all the info!

Now I have to decide on a phone.

Roy

Reply to
Roy