Boiling a battery

Page 5 of 5

terminal
ground,
No problem. Another thing that you might want to look at is if something is now constantly drawing current from the battery such as a glove compartment or trunk light that is stuck on and causing the battery to deep cycle. This will also cause excessive current flow in the battery while charging that could cause venting. A bad starter winding could have a similar effect. During your tests, put a current meter between the battery and it's positive connection with everything as you would have it while parked at night and see how much current is being drawn. It should be close to if not zero and if not, you need to find out what is drawing it.

He's definitely suggesting it, but I think its a real stretch to have that happen. If a starter drew that many amps and still functioned properly, it would lead to the conclusion that the battery was far too small. Of course, you haven't mentioned either the load or the size of the battery, so thats a possibility from where I sit. However, you seem to have a handle on it, so thats a question you should have an easy answer for.
--
Max

This is a bit basic but is the battery securely mounted so that it does not bounce around? My jeep had the hold-down bold rust away and the battery would nearly tip 45 degrees toward the engine. unlikely but worth a shot to ask...
-Jerry

Good point