Borgeson steering shaft

Reply to
DonStaples

I installed a Borgeson steering shaft this morning. The quality of the unit looks like top shelf.

It was an easy install, there was only one way the bottom splines would line up and there was only one way the top joint would line up.

Unfortunately, my steering wheel is now 90 degrees off center. I did not read about or see any adjustment on the shaft itself. Can my steering wheel be straightened with front end adjustments or have I just gotten a defective steering shaft?

Reply to
D. McDaniels

This is an airbag steering wheel - no small job. I expected more from this company considering the price.

Looks like I'll have to return it......

Reply to
D. McDaniels

Mine installed with no problem at all. Maybe you need to reinstall it possibly???

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

I don't think so. There's only one way the unit could be assembled according to the instructions. The only possible other way to install it would result in the steering wheel being 90 degrees out in the opposite direction.

Reply to
D. McDaniels

Call them Monday and see what they say. My guess is to adjust the tie rod length from the steering box until the wheel is straight. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Funny, the bottom end on my Borgeson shaft slides on where ever I want it to.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Hhmm....my shaft was splined which allowed me to position the wheel properly. I'm sure there is something you may have overlooked. I'd double check the shafts.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Your steering box shaft wasn't "D"-shaped?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

His must be a different year.

The one I installed had a D-shaped splined lower at the steering box. The locking bolt could only screw down on the flat of the "D". If it were screwed down anywhere else, it would damage the spine.

Reply to
D. McDaniels

No, in fact that was my complaint about the original int. shaft. It had half the splines missing on a circular hole, when the box shaft had spline all the way around. The Borgeson unit engaged all of the spline on the box shaft, and I've "adjusted" it by a "click" or two several times.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Borgeson got back with the owner and told him to file a new flat on the D shaped spine shaft of the steering box. The new flat could then be used to lock down the set screw.

The owner opted to take the truck to a front end shop and see if the drag link can adjust far enough to straighten out the wheel. I guess he'll return the steering shaft if the mechanic can't adjust it out.

Reply to
D. McDaniels