Brake and ABS warning lights

Hi Group, I've got a 2001 Ram 4x4 Quad cab. The Brake and ABS indicator lights are staying on, checked fuses (ok), cycled the parking brake a few times (no help). No fluids are leaking and braking pressure is fine (except I don't feel the pulsing when aggressive brake testing, the rear wheels are locking at this point). Any ideas? Thanks in advance.....rm

Reply to
rm

Hi Group, I've got a 2001 Ram 4x4 Quad cab. The Brake and ABS indicator lights are staying on, checked fuses (ok), cycled the parking brake a few times (no help). No fluids are leaking and braking pressure is fine (except I don't feel the pulsing when aggressive brake testing, the rear wheels are locking at this point). Any ideas? Thanks in advance.....rm

Reply to
rm

Two or Four wheel ABS?

Reply to
TBone

my guess, the rear wheel speed sensor mounted in the rear axle housing.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Possibly but on his year that would also be causing problems with his speedometer.

Reply to
TBone

I had the same problem on a 1999 Ram plus cruise control wouldn't work. It turns I had knocked the brake light switch loose. It's an install and set once part and cannot be adjusted and once I had knocked it out of it's mount it would not align properly. It cost me about $15 to replace.

To test (I don't know for sure if it's the same for a 2001, put I guess they would use the same switch... Remove the electrical connector at the switch The terminals on the brake lite switch are numbered 1 at the end away from the plunger and 6 closest to the plunger. Depress brake pedal and pull the plunger all the way out and test resistance between pings 5 and 6. If there is a complete open of a complete short the switch is bad. Release brake pedal to fully push plunger back in and test between pins 1 and 2. If the switch is completely open it is bad.

Reply to
Ed

Well, whatever I knocked loose (I suppose), got knocked right back to correctness after sitting overnight in the driveway (weird errant electrons)...Thanks for the responses and I hope I can repay with some knowledge

Reply to
rm