brake lights on

out of the blue....the brake lights stay on even when the engine is off.....have checked fuses, disconnect and reconnect the battery......what could the problem be

pull up on the brake pedal. the brake light switch could need adjusting or replacement. depending on what you have you may or maynot be able to adjust the switch.
more info on your vehicle would allow someone to make a more accurate "guess". remember the info we provide is a guide or guess on diagnossing the problem. we can not see your vehicle for ourselves so we have to go on the info you provide us, more detail and accuracy will help us help you.
--
Chris