broken spark plugs

hi my name is amy marie german i have a problem with my contour. you see the other day my check engine light came on and either the engine or transmition started to jump so i took it to auto zone and they check my car for the problem for FREE and told me it was a miss firing piston BIG UH OH know what i mean well i changed the spark plug wires and the light still would not go off so i tried changing the spark plugs and with my luck two came out but one broke into millions of peices and all the procilan is still in there and the other on broke off to the pioint that there is nothing to grip on to i have tried dilling but my drill is not strong enough and plus i was at risk of hitting the engine BIGTIME NO NO know what i mean so i tried tapping on it for hours on end and nothing not one bit of luck and it is too far down to reach it with anything else and i can not take it to a shop because they want 3000 dollars for it WOW too much money that i do not have so basicly does ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEA OF HOW I CAN GET MY SPARK PLUG OUT WITHOUT DRILLING? please email me at tiger_lady snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com thanks

Reply to
tiger_lady_tigger

[...]

It appears that you have too much muscle and no finesse. If you broke the ceramic you did not support the socket wrench at the socket end of the handle and put a side load on the spark plug. If someone installed spark plugs with the wrong "reach" carbon will build up on the exposed threads in the cylinder and the plug will bind when trying to remove it. Lots of GENTLE back and forth in /out with lots of Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster will succeed in getting the plug out of the hole without breaking the threads off. It may take half a hour but I have done this many times and have yet to break the first plug. Since the threads have broken off it is best to remove the head and take it to a machine shop at this point. It is unlikely that you have the finesse to drill the plug out and peel the threads that are left out of the hole. If you are at the wrong angle even by a little the head is then scrap good only for a boat anchor. Use anti seize when installing the plugs again to avoid this problem.

On 1 Feb 2007 20:19:42 -0800, tiger_lady snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
John_F