Built like a Mercedes (?)

Page 2 of 17

yeah, just what we need in this world. more rules. how about you just read it however it is posted and if you can figure it out, cool. if you can't, let it go.

Before you stumbled onto usenet we had all agreed this was the way to follow up a post. Top posting is for newbies.

Oh, it is the "we had all" boy's. I've two words for you folks and they are not "get well". I'm sure you are aware that NOBODY or any WE ALL set's any rules. You may ask nicely for people to follow a pattern, but that's as far as you all go.
Roy
On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 14:39:06 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote:

Or for fucktards that still believe Microsoft is perfect. I like MS. I use a lot of their software. I think most of it is far superior to everything else available for Windows. Yet I also am able to recognize that outhouse express is a fools newsreader. Take a look and you will see all top posters tend to use MS outhouse express.
************************* Dave

Some of us do just fine with OE. It's not the tool, but the skill of the one using the tool that most often makes the difference.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

If anyone's interested, I can really recommend a late V4 version of Netscape ( like 4.9 ) for browsing text newsgroups. It does the job very well. No useless frilly baggage and itsy bitsy cute functions. Just simple plain functionality !
Graham
Pooh Bear wrote:

My experience with Netscape 4.x was that it would stop working after a few minutes. I ended up using OE until Netscape 6 came out. After I found that Mozilla releases updates more often than Netscape, I switched to that.
Arif Khokar wrote:

I used Netscape 4.x for quite a long time without problems. I now use Thunderbird. Works great.

I had that. Turn Javascript off. That usually fixed it.
On 2006-02-03 22:19:28 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) said:

Netscape version 4 is a dinosaur. UPGRADE.

Duh. I did. To Opera. I just happen to remember that bug and the fix, that's all.
Martin Joseph wrote:

It works just fine for my newsgroups requirements.
Upgrading for its own sake is a mug's game.
Graham
Message from Pooh Bear written on 2/5/2006 7:31 AM:

You may want to review the laundry list of vulnerabilities that outdated software can expose your PC to. It's really a "best practices" question.
jcr wrote:

Perhaps you can enlighten me what vulnerabilities exist reading newsgroups.
I use Opera for web browsing.
My AV is set to auto-update ( it normally does so daily ) and I'm using a recent version of Zone Alarm.
Graham

If you're running XP you're vulnerable just by being connected to the net even if you're not doing anything. New vulnerabilities come out all the time and it takes MS a few days at least to fix them. And that's being kind.
Richard Sexton wrote:

That may be true if you don't set up the computer correctly. Use strong passwords, restricted accounts, make sure that you remove the "Everybody" group from accessing the hard drive, etc.
On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 03:38:22 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote:

Bzzzt. Not if you have brains. Fuck, doesn't anyone understand the use of firewalls.

Sure I do, but when I have to spend more time protecting the OS than using the OS I switch. Mac/OSX or Freebsd from now on. Bye bye Winblows.

If by that you mean on Windows-XP I'd agree. Otherwise, not so much as you might think.

You might want to learn something about software before claiming intelligence about the subject you clearly DO NOT HAVE. Early versions of browsers DID NOT have the vulnerabilities current versions have. IE, Netscape and the rest have become MORE vulnerable, not less.