Built like a Mercedes (?)

Page 11 of 17
<clare at snyder.on.ca> wrote in message (Richard

shoot we have guys that work in our factory on the south side of macon that commute from the north side of atlanta. SHEESH! through atlanta then another hour or so to the plant after your through that hell. work 12 hours and drive back....these guys are tough!
--
-Chris
05 CTD
Christopher Thompson wrote:

They may be tough but I'll bet you're not getting the best out of them.
There's more to life than machismo.
Graham
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 08:09:37 +0000, Pooh Bear

you better hope so.
Richard Sexton wrote:

You must have very relaxed work practices to allow 4 hours driving to go to lunch !
Graham

I meant dinner actually.
On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 23:37:05 +0000, Pooh Bear

and Americans routinely drive 300 miles each way weekends to their "vacation homes". A "holiday drive" of 1500 miles is not at all out of the ordinary, one summer we did a small circuit of Ontario - never left the province, and never retraced our steps - and put on 1500 miles in 10 days- while spending 2 days at each of 2 parks, and 3 days at the third, as well as visiting several tourist spots as "day users". All towing a camping trailer. Just this past weekend we drove about 180 miles to a friend's cottage - and got snowed in (about 2 feet of snow where we were, basically overnight - 2 1/2 feet a few miles south) and we just managed to get home this afternoon. One stretch of road was about 40 miles without a bend, and most of the way you could not see the road or anything less than 6 feet above the ground. Spent 40 minutes digging out when we misjudged the location of the road and ended up, while still on the road, stuck in snow higher than the "bonnet". No 4 wheel drive, no truck. Just a little Camry.
Ok, what's the official average annual mileage for any region in NA? E.g. Canada or Ontario, since we are in Canada in this part of the thread.
I bet it varies across the region, depending on where one lives. I wonder if people living in the NYC/Philadelphia areas, e.g., drive less than those in the more 'remote' areas.
In UK it is 12 000 miles, I think.
DAS
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
for Canada, and probably most places in the world, 20k km is considered average. I note that that's just a tad over the 12k miles you suggest for GB
cheers, guenter

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 15:50:36 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sciborg.uwaterloo.ca (Guenter Scholz) wrote:

Actually, it has gone up over the last 10 years 20,000Km per year is now considered to be low mileage. A 5 year old car with "only" 100,000 Km is a low mileage used car. Average 5 year old car on the lot here has 150-180 thousand KMs on it.

It's 15K here, but most people live in cities. I'm 40 miles from the closest one.
If I look out my windoew I see 300 acres of forest, a river and two waterfalls. This place has a barn big enough for 6 cars and when we moved here there was a garage pretty much across the road. Clsoed now. Pity.

My barn is bigger than yours LOL. It can hold 15 articulated wagons with 40ft trailers at any one time. And that's a fact.
You see two can play that game and you need to be sure that yours is actually bigger to be sure of winning.
Huw

I'm sure your barn is bigger but I'm not intrerested in "winning" anything, I'm just pointing out why I don't live in a city despite the distance invoved.

Then why mention the size or assume about driving distances. You cannot generalise. I have friends who have holiday homes in the South of France and they regularly drive both ways. I do not know how far that is and would not presume to compare it with your mileage.
Huw

Because I've lived in the UK and I've lived in Canada and I've lived in the US and know the difference. You?
A drive from London to Madrid is the same distance as Toronto to Atlanta. Half as much again and you're in Florida. While I've known people that have driven that for the wekend, that's no more the norm than a holiday home in spain for most people.
Again, one can drive that distance and still be in Ontario. The scale of how far you *routinly* travel is much much larger in North America than Yurrup or the UK.

I have seen your average mileage quoted and there is not much difference. Average doesn't mean much in either place except as a measure of the hours spent behind the wheel in various locations and despite your protestations there is not a whole lot of difference. It is interesting to note the psyche that *needs* to believe that 'mine is bigger/better/longer/further than yours'.
Huw

IMO, a PER CAPITA average mileage would be more instructive than average per car. BTW, my average on my primary car is around 18K miles. And I don't even commute - no job.
FloydR
wrote I have seen your average

A bit of a waster then in more ways than one?
Huw

Considering that about 1/3 of that mileage is in support of volunteer efforts for charitable organizations, your characterization of "waster" is entirely inappropriate. Most of the rest is for traveling between my three homes - us retired people have more free time to travel than you "businessmen".
FloydR

I was just asking.
Huw
How is that relevant to nub of the argument?
So far the best guesses we have for annual mileages in NA and UK ae@
UK - 12 000 miles US/CA - 12 000, possibly 15 000 miles.
The only way to determine whether mileages in NA are very significanlty higher is to try to find firmer evidence for these numbers.
If, for example, the 15K figure is confirmed for NA and the UK figure (not "Europe", another thing altogether and of no meaning) turns out to be 10K, then we have a clear difference.
I had a quick look on Google for a UK figure but was unsuccessful so far.
I also checked the rest of this section of this thread and I could only see a pissing contest but nationally or regionally valid averages. The comment by one poster about considering miles per person is interesting (rather than miles per car) but may not add much. It would certainly make the search for data harder.
In my own case that might add maybe a guesstimated 25 - 30% to my (very low) annual mileage (small is beautiful) because of journeys in rented cars.
DAS
"Steve" < snipped-for-privacy@spam.thanks> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@texas.net...