Built like a Mercedes (?)

Page 12 of 17

How about hours per capita/car? One might speculate it would be closer in the EU/US - for instance Inverness to London is around 12-13 hours for 580 miles, which is about what the 800 miles Seattle to San Francisco takes. Generally, the US Interstate system allows shorter times for long trips; even the secondary roads generally allow higher speeds than EU secondary roads.
I agree that some are in a pissing contest - doesn't really matter, since it's a real apples-to-oranges comparison.
FloydR
On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 15:54:52 -0000, "Dori A Schmetterling"

lower than average for our area, as the office where I spend most of my time is only 7K from home, and I make that round trip once a day. The local airport is only 15K from home if I need to travel internationally.
My 12 year old van has 334000 KM on it, for an average of roughly 28000 km per year. Over the last almost 3 years, I have put on 58,000 km on the van (20,000km per year), plus several thousand on my wife's car (which really lowers the average, with only 12,000km per year average on it over 10 years) The 58000 km in the last three years has included a quick trip to Florida, one to northern Michigan, one to central New York State, and numerour trips around Ontario. 5 years ago we made a fast trip to Winnipeg and 10 years ago to BC. I travel a lot less than either of my neighbours.
Anyway, whether harder on the car or not, there are DEFINITE differences between the usage a car gets between Wales and Ontario. There are huge differences between the use they get in Ontario and Saskatchewan (where you can watch your dog run away for a week), and even between areas of Ontario. Here, towns are spaced out every,15 km or so, often with villages interspersed between, while in some areas you are litterally 50 miles from nowhere - to get to a town of any size to get something you need could be a 100 mile trip - one way.
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

I seriously doubt those US numbers. Maybe if that is an average for ALL citizens, including the vast number in New York, Chicago, Boston, and San Francisco that don't even own cars... But I don't know. It just feels wrong, based on the fact that my annual mileage is between 20k and 25k, and I have what is considered a rather short commute.

Listen, if you don't believe the numbers, find your own and cite them or STFU.
FloydR
Floyd Rogers wrote:

I discovered that the US EPA uses a figure of 12,500 mi per annum for cars. UK average mileage is certainly ~ 12,000 mi ( commonly accepted figure )
It seems that those who seek to find huge differences are simply mistaken.
I would expect those in the US living 'out in the wilds' to have higher figures but statistically they are presumably a small insignificant minority.
Graham
Not in this newsgroup... they all seem to live in the middle of nowhere, have multi-car garages and drive 100 miles to get a newspaper...and are proud of it...
;-) DAS
"Pooh Bear" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com...

Well that's right. We aren't the ones wasting hours a day on a commute.

US official figures show that you are not representative of the average but are indeed included in it.
Huw

Well I might be if I was in the US. What part of England did you lived in Boyo ? :-)

A part of the UK that can communicate using correct English. ;-)
Huw

Oh, SOUTH Wales.
Reminds me of an anecdote (not OT since so many posts here are anecdotes...) about my first paid job, a holiday job just after school.
It was in the suburbs of Cardiff (in Wales for those not in the know) and my digs were somewhere there, too. The first letter my (non-British) parents sent me from the Continent was addressed to me at Cardiff, England... and I got a long lecture from my landlady and her husband...
DAS
"Richard Sexton" < snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net> wrote in message
news:dsijq7$kgk$ snipped-for-privacy@news.datemas.de...

Uh yeah. About that. I'm surprised you got off that easy :-)

Given that most of us posting in this crossposted nightmare from the AADT NG actually drive the Dodge trucks in the name of the NG, it would also be safe to assume that we don't live in urban centers where a truck would be less needed.
As for me, I live in a small town, and work on heavy mechanical pieces, mostly dirty ones at that. On top of that, I tow a car trailer. Travel to any major city is an hour at least, over two in most cases. I drive five hours to my other home, and at times carry furniture.
A small car simply wouldn't do what I need it to do.
--
Max

Given your esteemed leaders new commitment to drastically reduce dependency on Arab oil over the medium term and the ever higher price of said oil in the short, medium and longer term, then perhaps your should be prepared for drastic downsizing whether you like it or not. Otherwise learn to enjoy bending over and being shafted by the Middle East on a regular if not continuous basis.
Huw
Huw wrote:

He just SAID that he hauls tractors and cars on trailers. Downsizing for people that actually *use* big pickups for what they're designed for simply isn't an option. Fortunately, the market is full of cheap used ones from all the urbanites that used them as status symbols in recent years :-)
What really strikes me as boneheaded is that Toyota just announced a humongous replacement for their Tundra truck. Just at the moment the market is shrinking back to the people who've always needed trucks, and are highly unlikely to buy a Toyota given that "features" like this would cost them income, not just loss of stylish transportation: http://forums.thecarlounge.net/zerothread?id $38359

While business use may be justified, the rest of the World has no problem using much more efficient vehicles. To say you have no alternative is to submit to a long term shafting. There is a choice. Fairly soon I suspect things will get distinctly uncomfortable.

Planning for these things is long term and it would be prudent if you started planning for your leaders aim to come true. It could be fairly painless as your energy use is so profligate compared to the rest of the world that quite substantial cuts in percentage terms should be easy and you would still be comparatively profligate energy users.
Huw

You seem to be beyond clueless to the fact that these American full-sized diesel pickups do their job while still getting order-of 15 mpg at gross weights of >15,0000 pounds. They've been common-rail injecte turbocharged for several years now, and before that were typically HEUI types since the early '90s.
The rest of the (its lowercase, by the way) world doesn't do any better than that. .

More blather snipped
My esteemed leader is about 6 years too late on my planning schedule. I bought a diesel truck, so I can fuel up using bio diesel. We have an abundance of soybeeans around here. As such, I'm quite ok driving a 7000lb truck.
--
Max

You lucky devil. The superb Cummins. Is it the latest 24 valve electronic version? The 12 valve version is well known and very respected around here primarily because of its fitment to Case Maxxum.
Huw