Built like a Mercedes (?)

Page 14 of 17

Here we are. In the UK 25% of all housholds have two cars and a further 5% have three or more. That is over 30% of all housholds with two cars or more while 26% have no cars at all. I suspect that the greater number of 0 car housholds are in cities where there is no room to park.
Huw

In the US, the _average_ is close to 2 cars per household. For a while I was in a household with 5 (all driven regularly)

Yes those figures are included in those DOE tables but if you look carefully you will find that they only refer to households that actually have a car. On that basis the UK has nearly half of all households that have a car with two cars or more. Still less than the US. If you look at all the references I provided, it is all there. Since you must bring up how many cars were in your household as if in a pissing contest then I should say that I presently have a Range Rover, Land Cruiser, Nissan Terrano, Fiat Panda, Isuzu Trooper and a Land rover outside. Hmm, that's six, five of which are SUV's, not counting the commercial vehicles connected with my various business away from home. These have only four drivers presently.
Huw

The most recent figures I can find show about 1.7 cars per household for the US if you assume that all households with 3 or more vehicles only have 3.

Same figures show 63% of households with cars in the US have two or more.

I thought I saw a higher figure in the statistics somewhere but I won't argue with that.

So the UK is not very far behind. I suspect the UK and Europe has been catching up from a historically much lower number.
Huw
Hell, if you must bullshit, might as well get 2006 figures if you're going to call it "the latest figures."
--
Max

YOU dig 'em out if you disagree with the best facts available so far. As I said elsewhere, personal anecdotes may be interesting but they are useless for arriving at general conclusions.
DAS
"Max Dodge" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message
I'm sure the best available facts aren't five years old, nor are they as vague as some on here seem to use.
As to digging them up, I've posted links to info proving my point. That Huw likes his vague assumptions is not my problem. It does however, lead to an opportunity to be amused at his cost.
--
Max

Max Dodge wrote:

Oh no. Those numbers are on the *WEB*. They're a valid citation, and your criticisms of them are not acknowledgeable. How dare you, you unwashed American who probably drives a <gasp> PICKUP truck! And probably a DODGE too! After all, NOTHING anyone finds with a search engine could EVER POSSIBLY be based on flawed statistics or be outdated...
<'scuse me while I jackhammer my tongue out of my cheek....>

They are official US Government department figures, not imagined figures from some Usenet windbag who revels in the size of his tool. If you wish to say that they are mistaken or false then please do prove it. Carry on.
Huw

Well Huw, ya can't have it both ways. Either the U.S. Government is full of crap (see Iraq, oil consumption) or they aren't (see your profound and complete belief that the U.S. Government speaks the truth throughout their reports).
--
Max

It is a simple information gathering exercise by a government department. If you think they have a motive for cooking the books or you can point out an inaccuracy to them or me, go ahead. Otherwise accept the figures.
Huw

I have done exactly that in each case that I've commented upon. Please go back and read.
--
Max

You are obviously a fantasist.
Huw
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 19:04:54 -0000, "Huw"

now that is a hoot. a person from the uk, complaining about the us, calling that guy from the us a fantasist. huw, just the fact that you are here bitching about the us shows you and pooh butt to be the biggest fantasists in existance today. to believe that you uk guys can even play in the same league as us us guys proves that. i mean, come on. what has the uk done, other than provide a rather basic testing ground for dental hygiene? you wanna bitch about our car industry? what has the uk ever provided? oh yeah, electronics by lucas, the prince of darkness. oh, an triumph, the bike that helped invent the mighty wipe. look, we can't use your industry as a bad example, because you don't have any. so, while i understand you coming on and complaining about the us to take your mind off of the uk, don't lose perspective.
and pooh bear wanting to rip on our military. hey, again, at least we have one. i am sure it won't be long before you see proof of that, since we will probably have to come over and save your sorry asses again.
geezz, come on. your envy is showing huw.
A whole load of infantile rubbish not worth responding to.
Huw
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 20:09:23 -0000, "Huw"

ah, and yet you just did. i thought that might happen.
wrote

So even you, the author, do not deny it was infantile rubbish. That is most informative in itself.
Huw
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 21:20:11 -0000, "Huw"

now, how does even a brit like you come up with that interpretation?
theguy wrote:

Ran the largest empire in the history of the world for one.
The UK owns more of the US economy than any other country too.
Graham