Built like a Mercedes (?)

Page 15 of 17
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 22:11:02 +0000, Pooh Bear

talk about today pooh butt, not ancient history.

then you better hope we don't fuck it up.

theguy wrote:

Save us from what ? exactly ?
You are indeed one serious fantasist.
Graham
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 22:12:21 +0000, Pooh Bear

what a stupid comment.

no, as i said, i can not compare to you in that category. i take my hat off to your fantasisism.

theguy wrote:

What a stupid answer. i.e. you don't have one. No surprise there !
Graham
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 23:01:14 +0000, Pooh Bear

wow. just more make believe.
Yeah, Huw must think that the net is the final authority.....
See another post of mine where I use actual numbers, something that Huw has yet to post.
--
Max

You are deluded. My figures are officially collected by the US dep of energy or similar agency.
Huw

Stop squirming, it is embarrassing to those that read your posts. I am the only one who has provided proof here with links to US DOE information. If you have alternative proof which has the same gavitas and is more up-to-date, then this is your opportunity to provide it. Please don't be shy. Please don't be long.
Hot air, buster and fairy stories as you attempt above just fools no-one.
Huw

Already posted them Huw, no need for me to redo research you failed to look at.
I found yet another one....
http://www.sri-rtp.com/Envirofuels/Envirofuels_VR_Final.pdf#search ='locomotive%20fuel%20consumption'
Check out Appendix B, where it lists fuel consumption by GPH.
WIDE open for an hour, making 2900+hp, a locomotive only burns 170gallons of fuel.
With that kind of power, you can pull 4000 tons (40 rail cars) at 50 MPH no problem. Thats 200,000 ton miles. A truck burning fuel at 5 MPG will go 850 miles on 170 gallons. Hauling 25 tons, thats 21,250 ton miles. If the locomotive is operated properly it'll use less fuel, since it won't be wide open 100% of the time.
The locomotive used in the test isn't even a "new improved" design, its over 30 years old.
More numbers Huw. Got any yet?
--
Max

I stand by the figures I supplied in the appropriate place.
Huw
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 11:08:25 -0000, "Huw"

From: http://www.rco.on.ca/factsheet/fs_b02.html#Canada/%20Canadians
Comparisons
A commuter train carrying 80 passengers requires roughly 710 British thermal units (Btu) of energy per passenger per mile, and a trolley with 55 passengers uses around 1,050 Btu per passenger mile, and a one person car, some 7,380. Public transport also saves valuable city space. Buses and trains carry more people in each vehicle, and if they operate on their own right-of-way (particularly in underground tunnels), can safely run at much higher speeds. An underground metro can carry 70,000 passengers past a certain point in a single lane in one hour, surface rapid rail can carry up to 50,000 people, and a trolley or a bus in a separate lane more than 30,000. A lane of private cars with four occupants, by contrast, can move only about 8,000 people per hour. ["Out of the car, into the future" by Marcia D. Lowe. WW, Nov/Dec 1990]
<clare at snyder.on.ca> wrote
I'll respond once only. I have posted the best UK and official US government figures that are available and which are appropriate or links to them. Nothing more to be said really. Three of you are being just plain silly. I can see it makes you feel big and important. Sorry but you are not. You are just your average netkooks and bullies who probably have social problems. Seen it all before.
Huw

You probably have, at your closest rest area.

Truckers?
Huw
LOL, I don't think he is going to get that one.
"Roy" < snipped-for-privacy@home.net> wrote in message

In other words, you got lit up like a pinball machine, and played like a mechanized piano. You don't like anyones numbers but your own, and have NO way to dispute our numbers, OR our rebuttals to your numbers.
Face it Huw, as if my numbers weren't enough to slam you, Clare SMOKED your sorry ass.
Please do make this your "reply only once", as those of us in reality are tired of your badly attempted claims.
--
Max

"Can carry" is right. In peak hour it might. And the rest of the day?
DAS
clare, at, snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'm having fun just watching everyone duke it out here, but had to chime in on this one with my own $.02.
Since a gallon of gasoline contains ~19,000 BTU/gallon the value of 7,380 BTU/pass-mile works out to 2.6 miles/gallon, or when my wife rides along with me only 1.26 miles per gallon. Planning a trip through Death Valley pretty soon - doesn't look like we're going to make it across with only a 16 gallon tank in my car.
This one didn't quite pass the smell test.
Frank
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 11:08:25 -0000, "Huw"

Also from: http://www.rco.on.ca/factsheet/fs_b02.html#Canada/%20Canadians
Costs
Few U.S. drivers realize that, including fuel, maintenance, insurance, depreciation, and finance charges on their cars, they pay $34 for every 100 miles of driving. On a yearly basis, it costs the average solo commuter nearly $1,700 just to get to work. By contrast, the average public transport fare is $14 per 100 miles. ["Out of the car, into the future" by Marcia D. Lowe. WW, Nov/Dec 1990] The first step is to bring to light the hidden costs of driving, such as air pollution, municipal services, and road construction and repair. Perhaps least-recognized of these public expenses are items such as police, fire, and ambulance services required for an automobile-centered system. According to an analyses of the salaries and personnel time of the Pasadena Police Department in California, 40 percent of department costs are from accidents, theft, traffic control, and other automobile-related items. Extending this finding to the entire United States suggests that local governments spend at least $60 billion on automobiles. Employer-provided free parking (a tax-free fringe benefit) represents another huge subsidy to drivers, variously estimated to be worth an additional $12 to $50 billion a year. ["Out of the car, into the future" by Marcia D. Lowe. WW, Nov/Dec 1990] The Metro Toronto Board of Trade calculates that traffic congestion costs two billion dollars per year to Ontario businesses. [Ross Snetsinger, portfolio; found in: "Transporting Ourselves to Economic Growth" by Sue Zielinski: facts.html at www.kows.web.net] The United States spends nearly $200 million per day building and rebuilding roads [Paving Moratorium; found in: "Transporting Ourselves to Economic Growth" by Sue Zielinski: facts.html at www.kows.web.net] The Ontario Ministry of Transportation has estimated that the societal costs of automobile accidents causing injury and death exceed $1.9 billion per year, including health costs, policing, repairs, lost wages, and other impacts. This is equivalent to roughly $380 per taxpayer per year. [Udo Stillich, p. 11; found in: "Transporting Ourselves to Economic Growth" by Sue Zielinski: facts.html at www.kows.web.net]