Built like a Mercedes (?)

Page 17 of 17
And can Peugeot diesel engines not take their place at/near the top of the reliability tree?
DAS

"Pooh Bear" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com...
On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 17:38:02 -0000, "Huw"

Yes, I have experienced Fiat (Fix It Again Tony) - rusted away in less than 4 years, and the engine was shot in less than 2 - 1987 Fiat 128 L sports coupe. Also Peugot - 1967 204 wagon. Tough little piece of scrap - but not very dependable. To be fair, it had a hard life (Zambia Central Africa). Also Renault. 1967 R12 - rallied it for 3 years and couldn't break it. NASTY critter to work on, but gave me a 4,3,2 finish in 3 years on the ONNRC. My first car was a 8 year old Morris 850 (Mini) that had 196,000 miles on it when I rescued it from the scrappy. Had a Vauxhall too - 1972 Viva HC. Another tough little car - needed a lot of minor attention, but stood up well. My brother had a Victor Special (1962) and a Viva HA (1964) Nice cars, but rather fragile and underpowered. He lso had a Rover TC 2000 - a nice car to drive, but a real mechanic's nightmare. Other brother had a Sunbeam sedan for a short time.
I owned an old FJ45 Land Cruiser too - now THAT was a tough truck (Station wagon)and several Toyotas.(corolla and tercel). They were the best of ANY vehicles I've owned - somewhere around 26 in number by now. I also drove a Series 3 Land Rover "swamper" high clearance pickup for a while and a Sunbeam Alpine GT 1275.

Max Dodge wrote:

Are VW/Audi and BMW inferior cars in your opinion too ?
Graham

Complete bullshit. As far as Ford and GM go, they did dig their own hole by stuffing their heads as far up their collective asses as they possibly could while Toyota and Honda were building fuel efficient vehicles at a loss to get good at it but Americans love to drive and if they were forced to buy GM and Ford, they would.

More showing of your lack of intelligence I see. There is a big difference free trade and fair trade and there is no way to compete fairly with countries that pay their workers next to nothing and have no concerns for environmental impacts or the safety of those workers. The only thing that works here are tarrifs and trade restrictions.

I guess that the European industry isn't so perfect after all.

Complete horseshit. In order to be competative you need to be on at least somewhat equal footing and that is simply not the case. Now if you are saying that if America went full protectionist that it would cause a global resession you are probably right but all that indicates is that the rest of the "global" economy is really not much more than a bunch of leaches draining the lifes blood out of this country. Quite sad really that we are too damn stupid and greedy to correct it.

Sure there is. MS does it all of the time and we still have the power to do it. The only thing that is stopping is is our GREED which sadly, will reduce us to a second world country with nothing but a few very rich and the rest of us quite poor within the next 10 or so years.

And if Santa Clause were real then their would be millions of happy children throughout the world and both have the same base in reality. The only way this will ever happen is through trade restrictions to force them to buy our products or make it profitable to build some of them here.

What we need and what we will get in the current situation are two very different things.

I agree but the rich don't really care as they will still be rich and possibly increase their wealth from it and the rest seem to be either too stupid or ignorant to do anything about it.
-- If at first you don't succeed, you're not cut out for skydiving

How about we cut your pension or however you get paid. I'm so sick of hearing cut the employees wages as part of the cure all end all. Who the hell here can afford a pay cut?
Roy
On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 09:24:13 +0000, Pooh Bear

You mean like they do over in Europe, which has both shorter work weeks and more vacation days every year than Americans do?
http://www.careerjournal.com/myc/workabroad/20041123-sterling.html

--
What the heck, I'll play too.
- Dave