Built like a Mercedes (?)

If by that you mean on Windows-XP I'd agree. Otherwise, not so much as you might think.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

If you're running XP you're vulnerable just by being connected to the net even if you're not doing anything. New vulnerabilities come out all the time and it takes MS a few days at least to fix them. And that's being kind.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Turn Javascript off. This is a recording.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

That may be true if you don't set up the computer correctly. Use strong passwords, restricted accounts, make sure that you remove the "Everybody" group from accessing the hard drive, etc.

Reply to
Arif Khokar

Look at the headers of my message. Does it look like I'm using Netscape

4.x to post? (IOW, I want to be able to post to usenet and browse the web using the same application ... hence why I use the Mozilla suite).

But your advice is sound for websites that can "bypass" the built-in pop-up blocker in Mozilla and Firefox.

Reply to
Arif Khokar

fudge????

Denny

Reply to
Denny

:) :) :) :)

also notice, i didn't top post those smilies!

Reply to
theguy

Well, I just went up to the "lower bruce" for the weekend. Green grass all the way up Friday afternoon, and nice weather for the "Wiarton Willie Festival" - then the snow hit. by Sunday morning we had 18 inches, and the power went out about 8pm Saturday.Anouther 8 inches or more Sonday and overnight to Monday. We were snowed in. Left Monday about noon and got as far south as Chesley - all roads in all directions were closed so we spent the night at my Uncle's place and managed to find open roads, in a roundabout fashion, to get back home middle of the afternoon today (Tuesday).

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

You might want to learn something about software before claiming intelligence about the subject you clearly DO NOT HAVE. Early versions of browsers DID NOT have the vulnerabilities current versions have. IE, Netscape and the rest have become MORE vulnerable, not less.

************************* Dave
Reply to
DTJ

What is a "long distance" in the UK Huw? About 10 times around the whole bloomin' island would get you half way across Canada or the US of A.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Bzzzt. Not if you have brains. Fuck, doesn't anyone understand the use of firewalls.

************************* Dave
Reply to
DTJ

May I recommend Opera as a browser ? It's now entirely free and doesn't have any advert banners ( that previously existed on the 'free' version ) that may have put ppl off.

Includes a pop-up blocker as standard too.

I believe Opera is also currently the best 'web standards compliant' browser around. It does dislike some ( presumably IE specific ) code occasionally though.

I made the change about a month back ( because of that new MS vulnerability ) and haven't regretted it.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Well.....I'll comment ..... my sister's place is 90 mi away and I find that a longer drive than I'd like.

I have commuted to Cambridge though ( for about a year ) . That was ~ 46 mi ea way. Out of peak hours travelling I hasten to add ! That would have been impossible ( unacceptable ) in the 'rush hour'.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Sure I do, but when I have to spend more time protecting the OS than using the OS I switch. Mac/OSX or Freebsd from now on. Bye bye Winblows.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

How quaint. We think nothing of driving 125 miles each way for lunch over 'ere.

(there's no good sushi locally)

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Not at all out of the ordinary to commute 75 miles each way during rush hour to and from work on a daily basis over here. A friend left for work at 5 am every workday for almost 10 years, and returned hone after 6PM, just to put in an 8 hour day. Kitchener to downtown Toronto. Neighbor does the Kitchener to Mississauga trip daily - that's just over 95km each way. Not for me!!!

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Like I said - Britts don't know what a "long drive" is. Many Canadians and Americans routinely drive 300 miles each way weekends to their "vacation homes". A "holiday drive" of 1500 miles is not at all out of the ordinary, one summer we did a small circuit of Ontario - never left the province, and never retraced our steps - and put on 1500 miles in 10 days- while spending 2 days at each of 2 parks, and 3 days at the third, as well as visiting several tourist spots as "day users". All towing a camping trailer. Just this past weekend we drove about 180 miles to a friend's cottage

- and got snowed in (about 2 feet of snow where we were, basically overnight - 2 1/2 feet a few miles south) and we just managed to get home this afternoon. One stretch of road was about 40 miles without a bend, and most of the way you could not see the road or anything less than 6 feet above the ground. Spent 40 minutes digging out when we misjudged the location of the road and ended up, while still on the road, stuck in snow higher than the "bonnet". No 4 wheel drive, no truck. Just a little Camry.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I've done that but the other way. Commute to NCR in Waterloo from the East end of Toronto. I file this under "commutes from hell" right up there with Palos Verdes to Baldwin (spit) Park. Hour and a half each way.

I work from home now. Commuting time is just lost and wasted and you can never get it back.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

shoot we have guys that work in our factory on the south side of macon that commute from the north side of atlanta. SHEESH! through atlanta then another hour or so to the plant after your through that hell. work 12 hours and drive back....these guys are tough!

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

If you can do Scarboonie to Waterloo in an hour and a half, you are doing VERY well. I live about a mile from NCR and used to have to drive to Toyota on Bellamy Rd about once a month.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca