Built like a Mercedes (?)

Page 4 of 17
Max Dodge wrote:

I was going to say tongue-in-cheek that I wouldn't have been surprised to see replies on the order of "Well, if the business world jumped out of a 5-story building, would you jump out of a 5-story building too!?". Lo and behold, I see that my imagination wasn't far from what actually happened! (Example: "That's primarily because business people don't know shit about technology.")
Amazing!

They are different contexts. When you reply to a business e-mail you are generally carrying on a conversation with another person or small group, one that is fairly well-remembered by all the parties involved. The reader doesn't need the quote except for reference. When you reply to Usenet you are involved in a discussion with a large group of people, many of whom are involved in several other discussion threads also. The reader needs the quote just to establish which particular discussion the message refers to.
Matthew T. Russotto wrote:

The quote is needed in both cases. The issue is where that quote gets placed.
miles wrote:

There's a simple reason for that. Email can reasonably presume the recipient is familiar with the previous content. Not so with news messages.
Incidentally even with email, a complex mail is often best responded to using the inline method ( the best of all ) .
Graham
miles wrote:

Bingo!!

All squares are rectangles. Your reply - no they aren't, that is only because squares come when you buy one. What the hell does that mean?
Grab your dictionary off the shelf, if you have one, and try finding the word logic in it. Come back when you understand what it means.

Why? E-Mail, which is what I assume you mean, is not the same thing as Usenet, which is what I assume you mean. E-Mail uses SMTP over TCP/IP, while Usenet uses NNTP over TCP/IP. They have nothing in common, other than the fact that they both use words, just like Word, Excel, Adobe, Firefox, SAP, and a host of other programs.
Your considerable experience in using shitty software notwithstanding, other people really do know more than you.
************************* Dave
miles wrote:

It doesn't change the fact that it makes it more difficult to establish context. When I correspond by email, I do it the same way I post to usenet (trim irrelavent text and type right below what I'm responding to). Sometimes I go as far as reformatting an email to look more like a usenet post (using an external editor like gvim makes it really easy).
That's very good of you.
No doubt you drive your correspondents nuts by deleting parts of the correspondence and fiddling everything else. Aside from anything else, it could be considered midly rude. If you think you could apply that to usenet my response is this is not a business conversation on which anything depends.
At 'worst' I might be seeking information which I don't get because somebody who has this info does not reply because he/she hates top-posters. I postulate that that such people are rare.
Hang loose, maaaan.
DAS
"Arif Khokar" < snipped-for-privacy@wvu.edu> wrote in message
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Thank you.

No, it doesn't affect them in the least. My messages are much easier to read because they are much shorter than the original and are right to the point.

Perhaps you're not capable of determining the pertinant parts of a given message. That's your problem, not mine.
FYI, you've already been killfiled in my regular newsreader. I only happened to see your out of context response because I'm posting through google.

That problem can be easily solved at your end. All you need to do is find the relevant text and start typing below there. Top posting is like interrupting a conversation and saying what you want to say regardless of context. Then people who were listening lose track of what was going on.
On 4 Feb 2006 08:35:20 -0800, "Arif Khokar"
well, arif, you are just a really nice and proper person. i would like to tell you how impressed that makes me. but i can't because i don't want to lie to you.
good day there mate.

theguy wrote:

Thanks for letting me know I missed one for the killfile. :)

no problem.
Arif Khokar wrote:

'theguy' is a truly class act piece of trash.
Graham
On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 10:59:16 +0000, Pooh Bear

thank you graham, err pooh bear. i wish that i could return the favor but then............ well.....you know.
i certainly do appreciate that i have had an imact upon you and arif. you see, it is the small things that make life worth while.

Ya know I'm starting to get a visual on this "pooh bear". I can't for the life of me undestand why a adult male would pick a chidlike name. But it is what it is.
Roy

This being the internet, why did you ever assume it was an adult male???????
Denny

Well ol' pooh signs it's posts Graham. But what the hell does that prove? Anyway you turned out to be a pink rabbit, although packing heat! <BFG>
Roy

i don't think that is what graham, aka pooh bear, is packing though.

fudge????
Denny

also notice, i didn't top post those smilies!