Built like a Mercedes (?)

Actually a lot of roads, particularly freeways, have fairly gotty surfaces. And then they have these concrete slabs. Sounds a bit like being on a train with old tracks (with expansion spaces).

Nevetheless, I still don't think one would compare with poor countries.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

You do talk some astonishing drivel.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Okay... I don't personally do it, because I also like to edit out irrelevant parts. I just don't get my nuts in a vise over it and predict the downfall of human civilization when someone puts their comments at the top.

Thanks for the education...

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

well, we should listen to you on this one graham. i mean, you seem to be an expert on drivel.

Reply to
theguy

In the USA, that is...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

There's a difference between modern synthetic oils and the 'dino-oil' so popular in the US.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Yes, I have experienced Fiat (Fix It Again Tony) - rusted away in less than 4 years, and the engine was shot in less than 2 - 1987 Fiat 128 L sports coupe. Also Peugot - 1967 204 wagon. Tough little piece of scrap - but not very dependable. To be fair, it had a hard life (Zambia Central Africa). Also Renault. 1967 R12 - rallied it for 3 years and couldn't break it. NASTY critter to work on, but gave me a

4,3,2 finish in 3 years on the ONNRC. My first car was a 8 year old Morris 850 (Mini) that had 196,000 miles on it when I rescued it from the scrappy. Had a Vauxhall too - 1972 Viva HC. Another tough little car - needed a lot of minor attention, but stood up well. My brother had a Victor Special (1962) and a Viva HA (1964) Nice cars, but rather fragile and underpowered. He lso had a Rover TC 2000 - a nice car to drive, but a real mechanic's nightmare. Other brother had a Sunbeam sedan for a short time.

I owned an old FJ45 Land Cruiser too - now THAT was a tough truck (Station wagon)and several Toyotas.(corolla and tercel). They were the best of ANY vehicles I've owned - somewhere around 26 in number by now. I also drove a Series 3 Land Rover "swamper" high clearance pickup for a while and a Sunbeam Alpine GT 1275.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

No you didn't ! You waited til Japan bombed Pearl Harbor over 2 years after the start of WW2. US forces didn't arrive *in the UK* until 1942.

England was saved from invasion by the 'Battle of Britain' in which the US played not one single jot.

France was liberated by *allied* forces. Not just the US. Aside from the obvious Brits and Yanks there were Canadians, Free French, Poles, Australians, New Zealanders, Indians, Czechs and many others.

You're a lying sack of shit.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

The USAAF didn't arrive in Britain until spring 1942.

US troops weren't fighting in Europe untill the invasion of Sicily in July

1943.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

You really need to get out !

In Asia ppl can't afford to replace cars willy-nilly. I'd expect some of the cars on Indian roads easily to be 20 yrs old. They don't rust that much over there actually.

As for the roads - well until you've driven through a few Indian pot-holes you haven't experienced how bad roads can really be.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Uh ?

My last UK Vauxhall Cavalier lasted 180,000 miles and 16 yrs without any major parts replacement at all. Original clutch AFAIK too.

You're daft if you think maintenance is expensive because of 'Euro' design too.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Just the ones who haven't been maimed presumably ? You can't ask the ones who have been killed of course.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

That is *not* 'entering the European theatre' as you claimed.

Pure speculation.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

That is not going to war.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Both?

Reply to
Max Dodge

LOL, no doubt about it.

Thought you "plonked" me?

Reply to
Max Dodge

To a man, they are proud of their work, proud of their accomplishments, and proud to be in a position to make a difference. All of them can, and do, go back when called upon to do so, largely without complaint. Perhaps you should do some research on this before opening your yap via a keyboard.

And when exactly will you do as you claimed, and plonk my ass so I don't have to hear from you again?

Reply to
Max Dodge

reading below I wonder if anyone went to school. To wit:

actually, truth be told it was the Russians .... the US essentially mopped up at the end when it was all over anyway... geesh talk about beating the rag tag bunch that was left over after the Russians got through with them.

well, I won't get into why I think the US got into the war....

whatever makes you think anyone was interested in invading in the first place....???

I would have thought that Dunkirk put an end to that assumption.

a terror campaign does not an invasion make.

cheers

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Are you and TBone both uneducated, beer swilling trailer trash who reckon

*America Rules* ? You sure sound like it. I suppose you reckon you can win an argument with a gun too !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I think we've been over this, but for your lack of observational skills, I'll put it here so you see it. We were supplying the UK with war materials well before Pearl Harbor, along with naval escorts for the ships carrying that material. Do some research.

Except for supplying the munitions to get the job done, helping with the radar to spot incoming planes, and then helping to bolster sagging numbers of airplanes. Yeah, we did nothing in that effort.

Yeah, but without the U.S. leadership and vast numbers, not to mention wartime production, and a host of other things, NO one would have set foot on the continent.

And you sir, are a misguided, pompous ass.

Reply to
Max Dodge