Built like a Mercedes (?)

Page 10 of 17
On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 09:23:48 +0000, Pooh Bear

MANY are, but there can be a whole lot in that MANY and still be a very small fraction of the trucks in use here.

This is called anecdote. Just because you foolishly overload your vehicle, doesn't say anything about US truck usage in general.
In my personal experience, US roads are excellent (with some variation), and most light trucks (4 wheelers) don't get very heavy use.
Martin Joseph wrote:

Since we seem to be drifting back on-topic I'll add that in the UK at least, most users of light trucks tend to use proper commercial vehicles rather than pickups when they have a regular need to carry heavy(ish) loads.
Like this here..... Popular with builders for example....
http://www.ford.co.uk:80/opera/onestop/tos_overview/tos_dropside /-/-/-/-
Graham
Pooh Bear wrote:

He is very good at tall stories.

Ford Transit, Isuzu forward control, Nissan Cabstar, LDV and other almost bonnetless or forward control commercial vehicles dominate the load carrying sector between 1 ton and 6 ton capacity. Very few indeed are used for non commercial purposes as you know. In contrast to the majority of 1 ton pickups, these are seldom all wheel drive.
Huw

Factless stories tend to be short. Like yours.
--
Max

Pooh Bear wrote:

Most in the UK or much of Europe do not have personal needs for hauling heavy loads as is common in the USA. 10,000 lb+ RV's are very common in the USA. They tow them for recreational purposes. They don't want a commercial grade truck to do so. They want something that is comfortable for a family. In the UK recreational trailers are typically much smaller and lighter and thus little need for a high towing capacity family vehicle.
miles wrote:

If you have been here in Summer or in rural areas any time you will know that there are a far higher proportion of vehicles towing over here than in the USA. Yes both vehicle and load are lighter but the towed load is proportionate. The loads are heavy for the towing vehicle type and that is the cruicial comparison. Pickups of the hilux type commonly tow 6600kgs legally and a bit more on the sly. Cars of the Ford Modeo class tow caravans up to a ton and slightly more on dropside compact trailers. I regularly tow 4 tons behind my Land Cruiser and old Land Rover, sometimes over long distances and this is *very* common. There are rather stringent rules for towing that kind of weight though and apart from certain excempt occupations it needs the fitting and use of a tachograph and all that goes with it.
Huw
Huw
Huw wrote:

I have been over there. I also personally know several that live in the UK. I do not believe there is anywheres near the proportion of recreational towing that there is in the USA. When traveling in the rural country of England I saw a few RV's here and there but they were very few. Everywhere I drive here, day, night, winter, summer there are numerous RV's on the highways. Sometimes bumper to bumper. Try driving from Palm Springs, California to Los Angeles on I-10 on the last day of a holiday weekend. It's bumper to bumper for over 50 mile stretch of RV's. Pretty much the same all over the USA. Until shown otherwise I'll stand by my statement that there are FAR more RV's being towed in the USA than in the UK.
miles wrote:

That's up to you but you are very much mistaken. They don't start towing these things until Easter here though. Lots of commercial towing as well with huge numbers of livestock trailers at certain times but generally all the time.
Huw
Huw wrote:

Thats commercial towing. Any major highway in the USA is chocked full of commerical trailers daily year round. I'm not sure what your point is. There are far more recreational trailers in the USA than in the UK. No comparison.
miles wrote:

Given nearly 5x the population that's hardly surprising.
Graham
On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 01:24:01 -0000, "Huw"

What is a "long distance" in the UK Huw? About 10 times around the whole bloomin' island would get you half way across Canada or the US of A.
clare, at, snyder.on.ca wrote:

Well.....I'll comment ..... my sister's place is 90 mi away and I find that a longer drive than I'd like.
I have commuted to Cambridge though ( for about a year ) . That was ~ 46 mi ea way. Out of peak hours travelling I hasten to add ! That would have been impossible ( unacceptable ) in the 'rush hour'.
Graham

How quaint. We think nothing of driving 125 miles each way for lunch over 'ere.
(there's no good sushi locally)
On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 01:50:05 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote:

Not at all out of the ordinary to commute 75 miles each way during rush hour to and from work on a daily basis over here. A friend left for work at 5 am every workday for almost 10 years, and returned hone after 6PM, just to put in an 8 hour day. Kitchener to downtown Toronto. Neighbor does the Kitchener to Mississauga trip daily - that's just over 95km each way. Not for me!!!

I've done that but the other way. Commute to NCR in Waterloo from the East end of Toronto. I file this under "commutes from hell" right up there with Palos Verdes to Baldwin (spit) Park. Hour and a half each way.
I work from home now. Commuting time is just lost and wasted and you can never get it back.
On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 03:20:52 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote:

If you can do Scarboonie to Waterloo in an hour and a half, you are doing VERY well. I live about a mile from NCR and used to have to drive to Toyota on Bellamy Rd about once a month.
<clarence at snyder dot on dot ca> wrote:

Pape and Danforth actually, nor Scarborough. Golly, I must have been speeding. How bout that.
That was 16 years ago though. We moved out to the country 10 years ago.
On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 06:21:14 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote:

Travel time from Pope and Danforth to Waterloo has likely doubled in the last 10 years.

Bloody 'ell. Mercifully Belleville to Toronto hasn't but you DO have to pick your times. 3 am is good.