Calling Tom

Tom, What is your best guess as the cause for a Low Voltage fault for the fuel lift pump? That's all I know at the moment. Steve Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Well, besides the obvious smart-assed answer, I really need a little more to go on. Is this on your vehicle? Was it a stored code? Any drivability issues? Stock lift pump?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Tom, I know it isn't much, but it is all I had at the moment. It is my vehicle and it died Friday while negotiating a traffic circle at low speed. When I glanced at my fuel feed pressure guage on the pillar, it was at 0. There was no check engine light. Turning the key on and off did not cycle the pump as usual. No engine light. It did start after two tries and ran, but still no pressure on the guage and no engine light . I drove 3 miles to the dealer at low speed without difficulties and no engine light. Phone call today from the dealer stated the error code from his DRB3. That's all I know and that's not much, but I'm not there. It is the stock pump and there is 34K miles on the truck. Never did install the FAS. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Okay. Well, I think you know the answer here... your lift pump's dead... probably burned out the motor. The CP3 is capable of sucking it's own fuel (as it does in the Duramax application), but that lift pump's a big ol' restriction, so I'm surprised it even ran at all. Fortunately, the CP3's a whole lot tougher than the VP44, so I'm sure it's fine. You're just going to need a new lift pump, which should hopefully be covered under warranty (unless they try and duck out of a legitimate warranty repair because of the aftermarket stuff you've got). And, if they do the repair (either under warranty or not - but I would STRONGLY recommend doing it yourself if they won't warranty it, and you don't feel like fighting them for it - they'll wind up charging you 2-3 times what a FASS would cost you), they're going to change you over to the in-tank pump. Now, the good news about that is, it retains your stock fuel filter/fuel heater, and makes the installation of an aftermarket pump that much easier, since you'll already have the bulkhead fitting on the fuel filter canister (in place of the old stock lift pump that used to be bolted there).

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Thanks Tom, I'll keep you posted. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Just got the MSG today that DC will honor the warranty claim, ($100 deductable), parts won't be here 'till Thursday at the earliest and it will be the mod to put the pump in the tank. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Glad to hear it. Looks like your dealer is capable of applying common sense. $100 is more than worth it to get it back running - and like I said, makes the switch to an aftermarket pump, while retaining the factory filter/heater, all that much easier :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence