camper help

Obviously, you do not know Nate.

I've known him for several years.

He doesn't waste bandwidth.

-- Budd Cochran

WARNING!!!

Poster still believes that intelligence, logic,

common sense, courtesy, and religious beliefs

are still important in our society, and might include

them in his posts.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

two-rut roads with muddy stretches.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

i never asked you for recommendations on campers. i clearly listed the setup that i wanted, and am only asking for information on how to make it work.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

doesnt matter. if i couldnt tow more than 2000 pounds with it i would trade it on an F350. :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Keep lookin', Nate... I've seen 40' 5th wheel toy boxes at rv parks... If that isn't big enough for your gear and family, consider renting a chinook..lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

there was a company here locally that would take any cargo type trailer and build it into an rv of your specs. maybe having one made would help. atleast then you could easily choose the size of the toy hauler and how it was equiped. if you want i can see if they are still in business...

chris

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Uh, Nate, I've driven that kind of tracks with my old Valiant. Just stay on the higher, drier parts.

Learning to drive on the ridges was mandatory for driving the eastern CO prairie back roads.

-- Budd Cochran

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Heh... with a 12,000lb. GVWR, and a tow rating of 13,500lbs. (combined rating of 21,000lbs.), that shouldn't be a problem. I have no idea where the 200lb. tongue weight/2,000lb. total trailer weight came into the picture.

With your 6,000lb. trailer, a vehicle of 7,500lbs., 600lbs. of people/posessions, and 3,500lbs. of camper, that puts your GVWR right about

12,000lbs (figuring tongue weight of trailer, as well). The trailer puts you at 18,000lbs. GCVWR, which is well within specs. I'm a little worried about your front axle (especially with the added weight of the winch on it)... the front axle's only rated at 5,200lbs., and already has about 4,500lbs. on it with your configuration.

I also have no idea about the hitch extension given the overhanging camper. I'd certainly think about getting a class 5 hitch on there (don't know if they're available for the 3rd gens or not...), because of the added leverage of the trailer. On the upside, that long hitch extension will help take some weight off the front axle :)

There's some discussion of people doing this (camper/trailer/hitch extension) here:

Getting back to the toy hauler, I don't see why it wouldn't be big enough. If your 18' trailer is enough for all your vehicles, and an 8' camper is big enough for all of you, why wouldn't a 26-28' toy hauler fit both? Is the extra length of the trailer an issue for the terrain it's going to see?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

many times they just dont exist. :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

2 things here that I am getting confused about. First, I thought that a vehicle's GVWR was the total weight a truck could carry/pull. After all we do, at some point have to safely stop this truck/camper/trailer combo. Secondly, isn't a F350 one of those dinky toy kind of things. We are talking real trucks here.
Reply to
LJB

Uh, Tom, I already apologized for that mistake, but the main point was that a slide in fully loaded reduces you tow capacity.

-- Budd Cochran

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Been there in that old Valiant as well . . .got stuck a couple times.

-- Budd Cochran

WARNING!!!

Poster still believes that intelligence, logic,

common sense, courtesy, and religious beliefs

are still important in our society, and might include

them in his posts.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

an f350 doesnt come with a paper hidden in the center console that says "this vehicle is not recommended for hauling a slide in camper". i dont understand why chryco says that their flagship diesel truck isnt capable (or not recommended anyway) of hauling a slide in camper. i dont think this would have affected my decision to buy my truck. it is by far the most awesome vehicle ive ever owned (at least for towing anyway)......but i do wish this paper wasnt hidden in a spot that nobody checks before buying a vehicle. it was never mentioned by my dealership, and not posted anywhere else that ive found. if the axle is incapable of handling the weight of a slide in camper, put a bigger axle in.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

No - it's the total weight that the truck is designed to CARRY - as in weight on the axles. The GCVWR (gross combined vehicle weight rating) is the total weight of truck and trailer. That's why the 1-tons are rated to carry a little over 5,000lbs. in payload, but rated to to up to a little over 15,000lbs. (when properly equipped).

The F-350 is a 1-ton class pickup, comparable to the Ram 3500's. Look, I'm not a big fan of Fords... I don't like the way they design things, and I certainly don't like their engines - but brand-loyalty aside, the SuperDuty's are good trucks, built as well as (if not better than) the Rams. And yes - it does hurt a bit to say that :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Hey - I wasn't calling you out on anything, Budd.... and now that I actually read through the whole thread, I can see you were talking about the one poster's specific set-up, where he's 200lbs. below his GVWR with his slide-in, in which case, yes, he shouldn't have more than 200lbs. tongue weight. Makes perfect sense.

Nate's got a little more truck to work with, but he's going to be really close to the maximum. I agree with you... it's a dicey set-up. I'd want to be well ahead of a vehicle like that on the road... unless we were going down-hill, in which case I'd want to be well behind :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

nate, is yours a short box? i thought the long box was made for a slide in camper.

Reply to
thenewguy

nope, long box.

Nathan W. Collier

I thought that might have been what happened.

Had a boss that had a big slide-in on an early 70's Ford Half tonner. Rode with him ONCE to do some catfishing and that thing was all over the road. I resolved right there and then to not ever ride in that rig again.

Have you ever become seasick on a flat road????

And I generally don't get motion sick.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Thanks Tom, but I am still a little confused. In my old imperial measure world 5,000 lbs equals 2.5 tons. 1 ton equals 2000 lbs.

Now, I have a 2500 Ram CTD extended cab long box. The truck weighs in on a scale (full fuel tank & driver) at 6600 lbs. The GVWR on the door post says 8800 lbs. I assume I can carry 2200 lbs., ( 1 tonne legally). Where does your 5,000 lb. payload figure come in? I would love to know so I can upgrade my camper without replacing my truck.

With my present camper, fuel, water, beer, golf clubs and wife, we weigh in at 8600 lbs, (forget the comments, the beer weights more than my wife :)). Trailer hitch says I can pull 10,500 lbs, so can I hook up my snowmobile trailer and sleds (2500 lbs) and still be legal?

Another question is going to be tire pressures, door post has max pressures, vehicle manual has other values, tire side wall has different values. Which one rules? Thx LJB

Reply to
LJB

nice trucks. i still like the srw ones the best, just the looks of those duals is wierd to me...........but i know they serve a purpose.

Reply to
thenewguy