camper help

Page 4 of 5
I didn't say we had succeeded in looking as furry as you.

helping

Ya'll may be as furry but you'll never be as good looking...
Denny
Now that depends on who you ask . . .I've lost 45 pounds ya know . . .
See, I can diet . . . . .
VBG
Budd

Yeah my friend lost 110 lbs, got his wife off his back :)))
On 11/6/05 11:18 PM, in article GsBbf.1511$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny, "Budd

BTDT . . .after my divorce in 73 and it was 105 pounds.
-- Budd Cochran

Both of my Divorces were "California community property" ones, where you split everything... She got the house and stuff, I got the bills...
and they were both still great investments..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
a friend of mine went through a divorce a while back. he got the house she took the car and everything else (even his clothes LOL) fortunately he's enlisted and had just got back from a tour so he had a duffel with some fatiges.

That
split
I think mine might have been a tad worse . . .she made three attempts to kill me, personally, and each of her boyfriends tried at least one attempt each . . .I quit counting after the 15th guy.
Actually, I came out ahead . . I got rid of her and her drug / booze / party habits. In six months I had all our bills caught back up. When she began running off to Kentucky to deny me visitations with our son, I sued for relief from the court ordered child support. It helped to have proof the money wasn't going for his care and witnesses (my present wife) to the trips to Kentucky. The cool part was the judge that rescinded the support order was a lady.
-- Budd Cochran

I that a fact or opinion, Buggs?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
dream??
-- Budd Cochran

helping

Air springs (Air Lift or Firestone) DO work reasonably well. Since air is compressible, you still have suspension. They work best with an onboard compressor - just like with air shocks - either the old Gabriel HighJacker or original equipment air assist units as supplied by Chrysler for level control on vehicles like the FWD V6 New Yorkers, or GM on the TransSports etc. This allows you do "dial in" the amount of suspension assist you need. The air springs carry the load directly to the frame, rather than through the shock mounts like the air assist shocks (level control) They are connected together so a leak will allways affect both sides evenly - no crabbing whenone lets go - and because the line between them is fairly small they also add a bit of roll stiffness.
I've found the air spring gives much BETTER ride than assist springs like Moog CargoCoils and can maintain ride height much better than booster springs.

I ran across this blurb in a Lance Camper brochure. It had a section that talks about the Reese Titan Class V hitch box extensions and the trailer weight capacity based on different Lance models. For the smaller campers (Lance 845, 820, and 821 short beds) the tow capacity of the hitch extension is 8000/800 (trailer weight/hitch weight) based on a 21" extension, but for all the other larger campers it goes down to 6000/600 based on a 48" extension. Those values are with a weight distributing hitch. Without, deduct 2000/200 or 1500/150 based on model from the above figures.
John
Nathan W. Collier wrote:

as far as the truck itself, overall i like the f350 better than my ram. to bad ford doesnt put a real diesel engine in them. if i could get a king ranch with a cummins, thats what i would be driving.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://InlineDiesel.com

Nate.. I decided that the truck I wanted was one that I can't afford to build... an f-250 super cab with a cummins and an allison tranny.. IMO, best of all 3 worlds..YMWV
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

The GVWR is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. You are correct in assuming that is the maximum amount the truck and everything in it is allowed to weigh. This includes any weight induced on the tow vehicle by hitching a trailer. Keep the GAWRs in mind too. That's the Gross Axle Weight Rating. It's the amount of weight allowed to be carried by each axle. If you add the front GAWR and rear GAWR together it will be more than the GVWR. It is possible to load the vehicle under the front and rear GAWR and still be over the GVWR. You cannot responsibly exceed *any* of these ratings.

Can you hook the trailer up legally? Maybe, if you move the fuel to the trailer (I'm assuming the fuel is in cans for the snowmobiles). The trailer will have an effect on the vehicle weight. Normally 10% to 15% of the weight of the trailer will be carried by the tow vehicle as tongue weight so double check your weights after hitching up. You are already within 200 lbs of the GVWR. If your trailer weighs 2500 lbs, you should have a minimum of 250 lbs tongue weight. This will put you over the GVWR by at least 50 lbs. If your fuel cans weigh 100 lbs and you move them from the truck to the trailer, you should be OK. The tow vehicle will actually see a carried weight reduction of about 90 lbs just by moving the fuel to the trailer (100 lbs removed from truck, 10 lbs added in increased trailer tongue weight). Also, don't exceed the maximum GCWR. GCWR is the Gross Combined Weight Rating. This includes the weight of the truck, everything carried in it, and the weight of the trailer. There should be a section in your owner's manual explaining all of this. A 2500 lb trailer shouldn't even get you close to this, but keep it in mind. The GCWR of my Ram is 16,000 lbs, and the max trailer weight is 9,800 lbs.

The sticker in the door jamb is the vehicle certification label. This is what officially certifies the vehicle as to what load it can carry. The owner's manual shouldn't contradict anything on the certification label, only explain in greater depth.
The maximum pressure embossed on the tire is simply the maximum pressure that you can put in that tire. The tire manufacturer has no idea what vehicle it's going to be mounted on. The maximum pressure isn't always the best pressure. Be sure you have the proper size and load range tires on your truck. Your truck is 8800# GVWR so you should have load range "E" tires. Check for a separate tire pamphlet bundled with your owner's manual. My '99 came with one of these pamphlets titled "Tire Inflation Pressures 1999 Light Duty Trucks Wagons & Vans". It gives specific tire pressures for carrying light loads, full loads, and for carrying a snow plow. My 2500 4X4 QC Cummins calls for 65 psi in the front tires and 80 psi in the rear tires with a full load. Light loads call for 50 psi in the front and 40 psi in the rear. With the snow plow mounted, front tires should be inflated to 70 psi regardless of load. That's a pretty big variance, especially in the rear tires.
--
Ken

Oh, ok... don't get caught up in the "1/2-ton", "3/4-ton", "1-ton" descriptions.... they lost their meaning long ago. They no longer refer to the vehicle's actual capacity... more of a general, "big, bigger, biggest" relative rating.

You can't... the 5,000lb. figure comes from the 3500 dually's GVWR of 12,200lbs., with a curb weight of about 7,000lbs. (depending on configuration). The biggest reason for this increase is the four tires on the rear axle, as opposed to two.

Only if the tongue weight is at, or under, 200lbs. Tongue weight has to factor in to your GVW calculation, because it's weight applied to the truck's suspension.

Your truck should have come with a tire manual as part of the owner's manual package... it has recommended pressures for various loads. Your optimal tire pressures will vary according to how much load you're putting on them, but you can never exceed the pressure stamped on the side of the tire.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

Thank you Tom and everyone else for your input, on these two issues I am a little wiser. Suprised there were no comments about the beer. :) Now if someone could help me understand women a little better... or where their manual is hidden... Thx LJB

I'll take a shot at that one... being married 3 times, you have to learn SOMETHING..
It gets down to their basic philosophy: Women are from Venus and don't give a shit where men are from, as long as they stay there.. or at least go back on Monday morning..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Sorry, Nate. I forgot what you were driving.
But the point is the same, watch the center of gravity and the total load, friend.
-- Budd Cochran

http://inlinediesel.com/trucks/3gen/1/index.html