camper help

I don't need to look, I'm speaking from actual experience. I've bought, installed, and used them. They did not perform up to expectations or as advertised. Anything subject to dependence of air to operate/perform are subject to leaks....... like a tire, no lines there. Why take the chance when you are miles from nowhere out in the boondocks.

Reply to
Jerry

Air springs (Air Lift or Firestone) DO work reasonably well. Since air is compressible, you still have suspension. They work best with an onboard compressor - just like with air shocks - either the old Gabriel HighJacker or original equipment air assist units as supplied by Chrysler for level control on vehicles like the FWD V6 New Yorkers, or GM on the TransSports etc. This allows you do "dial in" the amount of suspension assist you need. The air springs carry the load directly to the frame, rather than through the shock mounts like the air assist shocks (level control) They are connected together so a leak will allways affect both sides evenly - no crabbing whenone lets go - and because the line between them is fairly small they also add a bit of roll stiffness.

I've found the air spring gives much BETTER ride than assist springs like Moog CargoCoils and can maintain ride height much better than booster springs.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Steel springs break too and that I've experienced.

Give me a bit more info because there's a lot of folks here in Moab with airsprings that have not had any problems.

What did you drop them (PSI) to when unloaded? Was the problem just a stiffer ride? What pressure did you inflate them to? Where they the proper size for your load?

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Budd, how many trucks of your own have you used air bags on while carrying a slide in camper? No, not some National Guard story or some forklift, but your own personal truck and camper. My truck wasn't a

2500 as I mistakenly said but actually a 1989 D250 4x4 with Cummins. Maybe they work better today......... Maybe they would work on Nate's truck with the longer wheel base and longer rear springs but they didn't work for me then. I really don't need to diagnose why as I found out what did work and posted same. Then again if you have a lot of personal experience with your own truck and your own cab over camper you might shed some light to those that desire to here your story.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Ok, none, for very long. I was given an eight foot cab-over slide-in that needed major repair before using. Even as an empty shell, it made my stock suspended 79 D-150 sway a bit. I never got it finished as we decided to move to Utah. There, happy now?

I am offended by your comment about my using all my experiences to aid others.Why can't I?

I have driven friends rigs, however, with airbags and with other spring assists . . but wait, that's not admissible, is it?

Same load range. Personally, I think you had a better suspended rig for heavy usage that the newer designs. Btw, that would have been a "W"-250. iirc.

And I was trying to get info that maybe someone else might find useful, that's all. Since you do not wish to share info that could help someone, that is your decision. And, btw, Firestone bags are used on many, if not most, semi-tractors today. They must work pretty darn good.

Ok, Jerry, I see your point, I think, and I don't think not too much of it. I think all our experiences are useful to someone at some time, somewhere. I do try to use only the ones that have an application to the topic discussed, like the hydraulic clutch on the forklift and the hydraulic clutch on the truck. Similar system, same operation, differing vehicles . . .kinda like talking about one on a Dodge pickup and a Peterbuilt dump truck . . .if it has one.

-- Budd Cochran

WARNING!!!

Poster still believes that intelligence, logic,

common sense, courtesy, and religious beliefs

are still important in our society, and might include

them in his posts.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Because you don't have any so why attempt to show other wise.....

No it is not. I have driven a couple 18 wheelers for friends for a few miles. Doesn't make me a OTR driver now does it.

Better suspension when fully loaded yes. Required use of a kidney belt when unloaded. Airbags made it worse when unloaded.

And none of them go off road onto trails such as Nate said he needed them for. Besides their main use in that application is to level the load, not more load or control of a top heavy camper. Apples to oranges.

Reply to
Jerry

Ah, you were there? When, where? I curious as to how you can be so sure of this.

Sorry, saying you drove 18 wheelers is not admissible, by your rules.

Did you leave them inflated? Or did you reduce the pressure?

Beg to differ. A spring is a spring, now, type of spring is the difference. An air spring is an increasing rate spring: the if the first half of it's travel required 200 pounds to compress to that point, the next 200 pounds will compress only half as much. I think the springs were working fine, just not the way you expected.

-- Budd Cochran

WARNING!!!

Poster still believes that intelligence, logic,

common sense, courtesy, and religious beliefs

are still important in our society, and might include

them in his posts.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Budd Cochran wrote: ... snipped...

What ever Budd..........

Reply to
Jerry

Jerry,

I'm sorry you dismissed me like that. I was trying to figure it all out so if not you, then maybe I could help someone in the future. Why is that a bad thing to do?

In your opinion, wouldn't it be better to ask questions of someone with a bad experience as well as someone with a good experience?

You insinuated I didn't have all the experiences I've claimed, but the problem with that is that you have not lived the life I have had, gone the places I've gone and done what I've done. So you presume I'm lying. Fine, that is your choice, but think on this: our lives our only mundane if we live them in a mundane manner.

-- Budd Cochran

WARNING!!!

Poster still believes that intelligence, logic,

common sense, courtesy, and religious beliefs

are still important in our society, and might include

them > ... snipped...

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Budd, go f*ck yourself. You're still the same know nothing stupid ass you always were. It's just a matter of time before you start crying that you're being picked on and start blubbering moronic crap as you say goodbye again.....which will be what, the fourth or fifth time. Oh hell, what am I doing here..... I probable caused you to now go off on one of your heart bypass stories again, looking for that pity you always seem to beg people for...... like anyone really gives a shit. Don't you have the least bit of a clue of the laughter behind your back. Yeah, go f*ck yourself.

Reply to
Jerry

Sorry, against my religion.

Am I? I'm trying to learn something and you're refusing to instruct me.

No, Jerry, I really was trying to learn something.

Nope, sorry. Last check up gave me the best bill of health in 10 years. I've even lost 45 pounds. I feel great.

What does it say about you since you refuse to teach me?

I'm sorry that my trying to be civil and trying to learn something are so repulsive to you that you would tell me this kind of thing.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

glad to hear it!

wow......i havent checked up on this thread in a few days. sorry to see the turns its taken.

........but im damn glad to hear youre doing great! maybe next spring youll head up this way for some fine fishin'!

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Better watch out, my friend, if I keep it up I'll be built better than you.

All I've done is try share some experience and to gain a bit of knowledge, which seems to be denied to me and anyone else reading the thread.

I don't travel much anymore. My last trip was back to Canon City CO with my kid (half-) brother was last spring to pick up his 12 foot fishing boat. Monarch Pass (11,312 ft)on U.S. 50 nearly got me with a lack of oxygen, but I did some "forced" breathing (deeper than normal inhalations but restricted flow on the exhalation a bit to force O2 into the membranes) and got my self saturated again.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Hmmm... Read what you wrote above "Sorry, Roy, but imho...." Now it is. "No. it's not an opinion, it is a plain truth, an observation." Ya lost me, but no matter.

I learned a long time ago that nothing is gained by "boiling the water" When you do you end up getting all pissed off and for what?? You can't change the thought process of the other party. All you end up doing is raising yer blood pressure.

Who is being chastised????

I started off trying to understand why you end up in so many arguments with different people. I think I understand what it is now.

Yet again.

Yup.

Well, ya just told people what buttons to push. But it is what it is. Me thinks it is time to move on.

Real old.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Don't step over that mole hill there, bro.. it became a mountain.. *g*

"Don't take life too seriously, you're not going to get out of it alive"

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I ain't about to.

Ah, now that's the truth!!!

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I'm sitting here behaving myself and then I find falsehoods thrown at me. None of you suckers look good in a bunny suit and there ain't enough time to show you..

Denny

Reply to
Denny

There are pictures around.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I'll get even with ole Red for that......

Denny

Reply to
Denny

The opinion part is," that's part of the problem in here . . .", the rest is the observation.

Am I? I use little conflicts in groups to let off steam from my health probs and such without "losing it" elsewhere, like towards my family, but at no time do I get mad. I will act mad long before I explode.

Me, by you, telling me how to act.

Do you? Do this: go back thru this series of posts where you started in and switch the roles. Put yourself in my position completely: old fashioned, conservative, fundamental Christian, if you can.

And again, you are. Maybe,for some reason don't see it, but you aren't the one on the receiving end.

Then how am I doing it wrong? I remember having insulted you a long time back and I've tried very hard to avoid doing it again. Some in here do not have that moral limitation.

No, I've listed what "buttons" a civilized person would not push. A truly mature, civilized person would have gleaned those items from daily conversations by me.

Yeah, I remember Noah being concerned about the top speed of the Ark.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran