Can a 8.3L V-10 be swapped with a 5.7L V-8?

I have a 2004 dodge ram 1500 5.7L and was wondering if anyone knows if I can replace that engine with the Viper V-10 that goes in the SRT-10? Will I have to change out the transmission and rearend?

Reply to
DAVE DAVIS

The trans will most likely need to be swapped... the SRT-10 is available with an automatic transmission, but I doubt they use the 545RFE with it - due to the HP/torque output, it's most likely a 48RE.

You don't HAVE to change out the rear end, however you're going from

375ft.lbs. to 500ft.lbs.

In the end, it will be much cheaper to simply trade in your truck on a used SRT-10 (I've seen one recently, low mileage, selling for under $28K).

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

TRANSMISSION:

Change 545 RFE to A-618

change ECM to operate OD and LU in the 618

change wiring harness

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer